Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Mail returned query

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mary

Mary Report 14 Apr 2004 21:08

I've just had three e mails returned, one stating that the address was incorrect (or words to that effect) and one to my friend with no reason given. Both these returns had attachments with them which I haven't opened, in fact I've deleted all three e mails.I've never had mail returns with an attachment before.Is this fairly normal or is this the gremlins again ? Mary Brooke

Devon Dweller

Devon Dweller Report 14 Apr 2004 21:16

Mary, It's very likely that they have a virus. I think you did the right thing. I seem to get one a day at the moment that Norton are picking up.

Susanne

Susanne Report 14 Apr 2004 21:32

I had been trying to e-mail someone who's box turned out to be full and all the returned messages had an attachment which contain a copy of the original e-mail. Sue

Shirley

Shirley Report 14 Apr 2004 22:51

Mary I got an email today saying it was was being returned undeliverable. I had never sent it. There are so mary viruses about. I get one or two a day now sent as attatchments. I just delete them straight away. Shirley

Susanne

Susanne Report 14 Apr 2004 23:42

I totally agree about not opening attatchments. I have only ever opened the ones that I know who they are from. The failed mail delivery attatchment that I opened, I had only done so after trying several times to e-mail someone and all of them being returned immedietly. I might add that I have Symantic which checks all my incoming and outgoing mail and it is well worth the money.

Rick

Rick Report 14 Apr 2004 23:49

Hi Mary, Suspect a virus first unless you know for sure there's another reason and you shouldn't go wrong. It doesn't mean you have a virus yourself, just that someone who has your email address in their address book has got one. If in doubt, delete ! Rick.

Karen

Karen Report 15 Apr 2004 09:32

Hi all I have had several emails with attachments supposedly from GC (someone has contacted you concerning....) Before doing anything with them I checked my contacts box on this site and found that nothing has appeared in the box so have deleted them. I know that several other members have also had simular emails. I have had emails appear in my contacts box without appearing in my normal email system but never the other way around. I thinks the moto is, if in doubt delete! If these people are genuine, they will be in touch again. Karen

Mary

Mary Report 15 Apr 2004 10:03

Thank you all - I wondered if I was making a fuss over nothing or getting paranoid about viruses especially as it turned out that one of the people I e mailed told me this morning she had photos sent to her and her mail box was full which explains mine being returned. But the other was to the local doctor for a repeat prescription and I wouldn't have expected that to comeback especially with an attachment. I never open any attachments now unless I'm e mailed first telling me what to expect. Not being very computer literate I really appreciate your help when I get these hiccups. Mary