Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Hong Kong to England

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

LisaL

LisaL Report 14 Apr 2004 17:31

Could anyone please tell me where I might find passenger lists from ships that sailed from Hong Kong to England, or emigration records of the same, maybe even how I could find a record for a marriage that took place in Hong Kong. Thankyou.

LisaL

LisaL Report 15 Apr 2004 00:53

can no-one help me?!

Rick

Rick Report 15 Apr 2004 01:05

Hi Lisa, I'm sorry but I can't help you. There could well be people on here who can, but your request is unusual so you may have to wait for a while. It would help if you could post some names and what years you are looking for. To nudge your request up once in a while then post a new message to this thread. Good luck, Rick.

Bob

Bob Report 15 Apr 2004 01:40

I couldn't find passenger lists without the name of the ship and you may have more success with the marriage. These sites looked promising... especially the last as a possible way forward. http://jmsc.hku.hk/publication/GuidePublic-Individual_02.htm http://www.info.gov.hk/pro/english/holdings.html http://genforum.genealogy.*com/china/ Bob

LisaL

LisaL Report 15 Apr 2004 19:06

Thanks guys.

Patricia

Patricia Report 15 Apr 2004 19:54

Lisa, try the British Library Oriental and India Office Collections 96 Euston Road. London NW1 2DB phone 020-7412-7873 www.bl.uk If you try online look out for ships passenger lists. It's a long time since I last looked but the only way to find an unknown port of origin or arrival is to systematically look through each ship's list. I'm also searching for a Hong Kong relly & can't get anywhere. I think the Chinese use their surnames first (if your relly WAS chinese) so take this into account. Also try using your search engine. good luck, Pat.

Patricia

Patricia Report 15 Apr 2004 22:58

Lisa, I,ve just been into into that site & not as I remember it! May be worth a shot anyway! What I did find through search engine, was 'The Ships List' by Ancestry. It looks as if it will be a separate subscription to the regular Ancestry but the list of ships is amazing. They are currently offering a 14 day free trial but best read '1901 census good news' message, started by Sally Knapman, after reading all those doom and gloom messages about not being able to cancel you might think twice ! Another one to try is Immigrant Ships Transcribers Guild www.immigrantships.net Pat.

LisaL

LisaL Report 16 Apr 2004 21:32

Thanks Patricia, I'll give them a go. :)