Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

CAN ANYONE HELP ME WITH DOWNLOADING FILES FROM ONE

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Helen1959

Helen1959 Report 11 Apr 2004 14:40

I'm not that brilliant with computers but Dad and I have been researching for a couple of years now and a lot of data has been stored onto his computer through MASTER GENEOLOGIST(silver edition) and I have my tree listed on GC, I now have access to my computer more(hubby had a new one so I've got the cast off) and I want to save time hopefully by loading Dad's data on to a CD or floppy and then loading it onto my copy of Master (to save my fingers from all the typing). I also want to load what info I've got on GC onto the same and also load it onto Dad's. PLEASEEEEEEEEEEE SOME ONE HELP. Helen

Chris

Chris Report 11 Apr 2004 15:41

Hi Ok here goes 1 - Can you create a GEDCOM file from within Master MASTER GENEOLOGIST? 2 - If so all you have to do is save that to a floppy disc or CD if you have a burner. 3 - You then need to install your copy of MASTER GENEOLOGIST on your computer. 4 - When you have done that you should have the option of starting a new tree and another option to impot a GEDCOM 5 - he program should ask you for a location of the GEDCOM , point MASTER GENEOLOGIST to the file on your floppy disc/CD This should then load all the information on to your computer. 6 Now go to the save menue of your copy of MASTER GENEOLOGIST and this time save to your hard drive otherwise the program will look for the file on the floppy. 7- Now go to the GC site, To load you file from GC to your computer , click on Import/Export your Tree in the menue on the laeft hand side of the screen, its in the section titled FEATURES and follow the instructionns. 8 You should have 2 GEDCOM files on yoour computer ............ Now comes the tricky bit as im not sure if MASTER GENEOLOGIST has a merge function, but if it has this should lead you through the method of merging the to files. 9 A word of warning here first make duplicate copies of your 2 files incase anything goes amiss and when merging files. Yours Chris

Helen1959

Helen1959 Report 11 Apr 2004 15:52

Hi Christopher and Malcom Thanks for your replies, I shall have to go down to Dad's and try your sugesstion Chris(oops hope you don't mind as it saves my fingers lol) Yes Malcolm Dad does have the internet on his computer. No have never used a GEDCOM file before am a newcomer to all this. Helen

Helen1959

Helen1959 Report 11 Apr 2004 16:09

Help Malcolm, What the hell is GENCIRCLES. Can't do much at minute as Dad is round my brothers, so have to wait. Helen