Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

?Where to order certificates please and prices???

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

VIVinHERTS

VIVinHERTS Report 9 Apr 2004 19:47

Can anyone tell me where to order certificates please. I have ordered through GRO online before, but they take so long. Most of my ancestors are in the Hackney district so do I order through the local (Hackney) registry office or does it have to be GRO? There has been lots about this on the boards before but I can't remember now. Thank you in anticipation, Viv. P.S How much are they?

VIVinHERTS

VIVinHERTS Report 9 Apr 2004 20:55

Philip, Thank you. Typed it in and got what I needed. I will be contacting them next week. Regards, Viv.

Valice in

Valice in Report 9 Apr 2004 21:14

think it's more expensive than ordering online tho. Val

Claire in Lincs

Claire in Lincs Report 10 Apr 2004 06:06

Val,, I always get mine from the relevent register office,,,I send a cheque for £7-00 for each cert and a stamped addressed envelope and in most cases,,i get it back within 4 days, Address for register offices are in GENUKI. Are the certificates offered at a lower price online?

VIVinHERTS

VIVinHERTS Report 10 Apr 2004 12:17

When ordered from GRO the certificates are £7.00 each. Regards Viv.

VIVinHERTS

VIVinHERTS Report 10 Apr 2004 16:09

Claire, I was going to phone them but should I write? Viv.

Valice in

Valice in Report 10 Apr 2004 18:15

Thought certificates offline were more in the region of £11, and varied a little between registry offices. We have ordered them from a register office by phoning and pay by credit/debit card, quicker than writing. Val

VIVinHERTS

VIVinHERTS Report 10 Apr 2004 23:27

Not sure what to think now, can anyone else shed some light on prices please? Viv.

*****me*****

*****me***** Report 10 Apr 2004 23:56

viv, i have just ordered one on line,it costs £7, this is the first one i have ordered!! chris. ps. it's a 10 day wait before they are sent out tho,cos they are so busy.

Samantha

Samantha Report 11 Apr 2004 08:58

Hi Although I am very impatient when ordering certificates I do tend to order via the GRO and wait extremely patiently for a few weeks (my hubbie isn't agreeing that I can be patient!). In my experience the ones I have ordered from registry offices arrive very quickly but are either typed up or hand written by the registrar. The ones I have had from the GRO have had the original register entry photocopied onto the certificate so I am able to see myself what was entered and don't run the risk of the registrar not being able to read the handwriting and transcribing the entry incorrectly. Sam x

BobClayton

BobClayton Report 11 Apr 2004 09:40

There is no standard for registration offices. Some give transcriptions, others give copies of originals (which they hold) Some London offices are not co-operating with family historians (which is probably not legal). Always remember that many records exist at local level which are not on GRO. Also the GRO certs are often copies of transcriptions from the originals. You can tell them because the handwriting is all the same. The originals (esp. marriage certs) have the signatures of your ancestors. Ask your local office what they supply first. (sorry to those who have heard me say all this before but it is basic and important) Bob

VIVinHERTS

VIVinHERTS Report 11 Apr 2004 14:20

Bob, do you have any idea which London offices are not dealing with family historians? I may have to contact Islington and Camden as well as Hackney in the near future. Viv.