Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WW2 records?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Victoria

Victoria Report 6 Apr 2004 12:37

Does anyone know how to go about getting someones (namely my Grandfathers) war record for the WW2? he volunteered in 1939 and as far as we know he was there till the end! any help appreciated! thanks Vikki

Elisabeth

Elisabeth Report 6 Apr 2004 13:03

Victoria, You need to contact Army Personnel Centre, Historical Disclosures, Mail Point 400 Kentigern House, 65 Brown Street, Glasgow G2 8EX Tel 0141 224 2743 You will need the Service Number and Regiment, or they may not be able to search. It costs £25 and needs the permission of the next-of-kin. It also takes a very long time. I applied in June last year and I am still waiting. They have confirmed they have found my father's file.

Victoria

Victoria Report 6 Apr 2004 19:57

Thanks very much for that, unfortunately I don't know what regiment he was in. I know he was a royal navy volunteer and he was apparently a petty officer, but not much else. Will contact them anyway to see what they say! Thanks again.

Malcolm

Malcolm Report 6 Apr 2004 20:47

Hi Victoria If you are looking for R N personnel these may be of help. Royal Navy Prior to 1972 all RN personnel were given their service record when they discharged. For pension purposes the RN retained pay details. Therefore the only information held on RN personnel who served prior to 1972 are their Service details (number, rank, name etc) and a list of dates and ships/shore bases. Records for RN personnel are held in different locations according to the period served and rank. Subject Access Requests for Officers and Ratings Naval Service Subject Access Request Co-ordination Cell (NSSCC), Bldg 1/152, Main Road, HM Naval Base Portsmouth, PO1 3PX. Non Subject Access Requests Retired Officers under the age of 60 years: Officers' Mobilisation Section, Room 171, Victory Building, HM Naval Base, Portsmouth, PO1 3LS Officers aged over 60 years including Second World War RNR/RNVR, Ratings who enlisted 1924-1939 and Women’s Royal Naval Service who enlisted 1939 and 1955: Navy Correspondence, MOD Repository, Government Buildings, Bourne Avenue, Hayes, Middlesex, UB3 1RS Ratings who enlisted 1939 onwards and Women’s Royal Naval Service who enlisted 1956 onwards: Royal Navy Records, Room 86, Centurion Building, Grange Road, Portsmouth, PO13 9XA Royal Marine All enquiries (Subject Access Requests or otherwise) for Royal Marine Officers and Other Ranks who enlisted 1926 onwards. Historical Records Royal Marines, Room 038, Centurion Building, Grange Road, Gosport, PO13 9XA Royal Fleet AuxilIary All enquiries (Subject Access Requests or otherwise) for former Royal Fleet Auxiliary personnel records: Royal Fleet Auxiliary Records, Room 11, Lancelot Building, HM Naval Base, Portsmouth, PO1 3NH Hope this helps Malcolm

Victoria

Victoria Report 7 Apr 2004 20:09

Hi Malcolm, wow, thank you so much for the information. i will certainly be writing to them tomorrow! Heres hoping i'll have some luck! Thanks again Victoria