Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

how do i find out pre.16th century records?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jayne

Jayne Report 5 Apr 2004 22:16

hi can any one help me i have a Lancelot Swinburn in my tree he was born 1600 but how do i find out who is parents are ?he was born at Whickham Northumberland and died of the plague after around 1630ish ANY TIPS WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED

Judith

Judith Report 5 Apr 2004 22:26

There is something called the Historical Manuscripts Commision you can find online at http://www(.)hmc.gov(.)uk/mdr/mdr(.)htm 'The Manorial Documents Register (MDR), maintained by HMC on behalf of the Master of the Rolls, records information on the whereabouts of manorial records excluding title deeds. Manorial records survive today in many national and local record offices and in some cases in private hands. HMC itself holds no manorial records.' I'm jealous, have you really got back that far? I'm stuck mid 17th Century at earliest Judith

Jayne

Jayne Report 5 Apr 2004 22:33

thanks Judith i will look up that site.There is also a Lancelot born in 1550 his linage goes back to 11 century i would love to make the connection hope fully its his grandson lol .thanks

Jayne

Jayne Report 5 Apr 2004 23:23

judy i have looked at this site WOW i cant find Lancelot yet but i have found so much about my family on this site loads of thing about title deeds to lands and earls and lords etc i have added this site to my favourites thanks