Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Army service Records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tracy

Tracy Report 5 Apr 2004 12:36

Is there anyway of knowing if someone of service age was out doing national service with the armed forces at the time of various census's?? Many male ancestors are missing on census's that are of national service age and then reappear on the later census's! Any advice welcome Tracey

Judith

Judith Report 5 Apr 2004 14:13

I believe national service as such existed from 1948 - 1963 but of course during the 19th century many young men would have joined local regiments and could well have been away from home at census time. www(.)mod(.)uk/contacts/army_records(.)htm is a useful site for information on how to trace army service records. Good luck Judith

Tracy

Tracy Report 5 Apr 2004 14:59

Thank you Judith, I will try that site. For some reason i thought national service was in existance early than that. Thanks for the link anyway Regards Tracey

Nicola

Nicola Report 5 Apr 2004 15:21

My men have mostly vanished on the 1901 census too.....and still no luck in finding them .....maybe ellis island is the answer