Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Family Records Center and Metropoliation Archives.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Buggy21

Buggy21 Report 4 Apr 2004 01:10

I hoping to go to London soon and do some research. While I'm there I want to Visit either the FRC or MA. Could sks please tell me what i can expect to find at these. With many thanks Angie.

Janet

Janet Report 4 Apr 2004 11:35

FRC is the main place in the country for GRO. Here you will browse the books from 1837 to pesent day for Births, Deaths and Marriages, all done in Quarters ie 4 books per year. There are long tables where you stand and look at the books which you take down from the shelf yourself. At the far end are special books for those that were adopted and overseas books for those born, married or died whilst at sea or in another country. Not everyone is in these books but always worth searching if unsure. There are also the regimental books dating from about 1750 ish which may or may not contain your ancestors who were in the army mainly but also navy. You will also get some wills up to 1858 , Death duty registers 1796-1858, census returns 1841-1901(Not indexed) Records of Nonconformist births, baptisms,burials most pre 1837 and marriages mainly pre 1754. There is a place to eat, somewhere to put your belongings and a bookshop as well as advice on genearal FH and many free leaflets to take away. Website: www.familyrecords.gov.uk Metro politan Archives nearby is an excellent place for tracing any Middlesex ancestors with the usual facilities of a local record office. Janet

Sue (Sylvia Z )

Sue (Sylvia Z ) Report 4 Apr 2004 12:24

The LMA also have records of trade directories, electoral registers and a photograph section of streets in London. At the FRC there are adoption registers as well as the BMD registers. Sue

Janet

Janet Report 4 Apr 2004 19:08

Sylvia. I think you will find that the Metropolitan Archives deal mainly with MIDDLESEX London records not ALL of London. The Guildhall Library has mainly City of London Records. Essex CRO has most of East Ham and that Eastern part of London which used to be Essex. Kent CRO(and there may be more than one} will have Bromley/Woolwich and those places that used to be Kent and Surrey CRO( possibly also more than one)will have the records for Southwark and those parts of London that used to be Surrey. Janet

Buggy21

Buggy21 Report 5 Apr 2004 00:24

Thank you to everyone for the information, it was much appreciated! I hope to be going when the children go back to school after Easter, fingers crossed. Many many thanks. Angie.