Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

silly prob. with Family Historian.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rosi

Rosi Report 2 Apr 2004 22:31

Umm. Help please. A week or two back I loaded FH 2.1, and the shortcut icon duly installed itself on my desktop. I didn't start the task of transferring names, one by one from GC - it seemed so onerous - and then, woohoo - as if by magic - GC allowed me to export my tree. I did it okay - except that the Gedcom from GC has loaded into FH - but not into the desktop 'shortcut' where I can easily access it via the icon. I have to use a very tedious and long winded route to find my FH tree. I don't know how to put it right- can sks help please - in words of one syllable if at all possible. I spose I should be duly grateful that the GC Gedcom didn't download into the PAF file tree which is also lurking in my PC somewhere! Rosi

Annie

Annie Report 2 Apr 2004 22:34

Hi This might be a silly question but have you thought of binning the original shortcut and recreating one just to see whether it works? Ann xx

Rosi

Rosi Report 2 Apr 2004 22:40

Hi Ann - Er yes - I had wondered about that - but as the shortcut icon thingie appeared on the desktop when I loaded FH from the CD - I thus have absolutely no idea how to delete it - let alone recreate it! And am slightly concerned that if I drag and drop the icon into the recycle bin - somehow all my FamilyTree, FH or GC will disappear into cyberspace too!

Chris

Chris Report 3 Apr 2004 00:59

Hi If I read your problem correctly then all you have to do is as follows As long as you know where you Gedcom file is just load it into FH by double clicking on it. Then go to the TOOLS dropdown menue and the click Prefrances and then on the Miscellanious tab. At the top it says default setup file, use browse to find you file and click on that file. This name of the file should appear in the little window. Click ok Now every time you open FH your GEDCOM will load automaticaly Hope that helps........... Chris Talbot

Rosi

Rosi Report 3 Apr 2004 13:50

Thanks Chris- your advice solved most of the problem - I have now ditched the FH icon on the desktop - and have a Gedcom one instead - via which I can access my FH Tree. Thankyou for your easy to follow instructions. Rosi