Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Illegitimacy advice needed!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Victoria

Victoria Report 1 Apr 2004 13:39

Can anyone help me, Im trying to trace fathers for the years 1910 and 1919 there names are not on the birth certificates, but I know there are ways of finding them for the 1800s but is there a way of finding them for the early 1900s? any advice would be appreciated?

Kim

Kim Report 1 Apr 2004 14:34

IF they were baptised may be the father's details were entered on the parish records?? KIM

Seasons

Seasons Report 1 Apr 2004 14:53

possibly childs marriage certificate

Victoria

Victoria Report 1 Apr 2004 19:03

Thank you, will check parish records for the 1919 date. But i know this isnt a factor with the 1910 date. As for marriage certificates I tried that already the 1919 date has left the father blank and the 1910 date has his step fathers name down. Thanks anyway!

BobClayton

BobClayton Report 1 Apr 2004 20:01

Victoria, it doesn't say stepfather on the marriage cert, does it? Bob

Victoria

Victoria Report 1 Apr 2004 20:11

Hi Bob, No it doesnt say step father but as this man was the father of his brothers and sisters and came along much later we presume he was a step father, but I see your point! thanks. Spoke to my Mum and she said that her Dad did think this man may have been his real father, but who knows! Wish I could read the minds of my deceased relatives sometimes!!!

BobClayton

BobClayton Report 1 Apr 2004 21:12

Its just that my Grandad Clayton was illigitimate (one of two Claytons) along with six Dixons after marriage. All lived as one family. In 1891 Grandad was put down as a "Dixon" and "son" and then in 1901 he is a "Clayton" again and "stepson". Family legend has it that he (greatgrandad Dixon) was the father of all, but it is confusing! Bob

Victoria

Victoria Report 2 Apr 2004 17:45

I am learning very fast to take what family say with a slight pinch of salt! so far ive been lead in many a direction, but who said this was going to be easy! haha. Still finding it all good fun and interesting! Thanks for the pointer, I have a sneaky feeling you may be right!