Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

odd occupation,what is it?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Julie

Julie Report 1 Apr 2004 10:23

Hi, Does anyone know what the occupation Hawker is please? Also a hawkers boy. Two of my rellies from late 1800`s had these occupations. It`s not very important but interesting. Thanks Julie

Lynda ~

Lynda ~ Report 1 Apr 2004 10:31

Hi Julie This is a really good site to find old occupations http://rmhh(.)co.uk/occup/h(.)html remove brackets This is what it said about Hawker Hawker / Huckster Peddler or street seller. Itinerant street dealer who carried his wares with him. Often used as a term of abuse. Hope this helps Lynda

Foxyfeline

Foxyfeline Report 1 Apr 2004 10:31

Hi Julie I have a Hawker in my tree too, and I think it was a term for someone that sold stuff, usually door to door. Mine was my Great Grandfather, and my mum remembers him, and describes him as a bit of a rogue, would sell anything to anyone, and laterly he described himself as a fishmonger, because he used to sell fish door to door. I have a photo of him with his horse and cart. Apparently, he would buy the fish in, his wife would cook it, and then he and his sons would go off selling it door to door. Consequently, my Grandfather didn't get a lot of schooling, he was always out with his father selling fish!!!!!!! I stand corrected on this, but I know that is what my GGGrandfather did, and he is described on several documents as a Hawker. Hope this helps Lisa

Unknown

Unknown Report 1 Apr 2004 10:45

It's Del Boy ! lol

Foxyfeline

Foxyfeline Report 1 Apr 2004 10:52

Ha hahahaha spot on paul, that's how I picture him!!!!! Lisa

Julie

Julie Report 1 Apr 2004 12:36

Thanks to everyone . Lisa, that sort of fits to my rellies. The further i go back the worse it gets. Julie