Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Amie

Amie Report 1 Apr 2004 09:45

I have been looking up on the 1901 census for a George Francis Slawson who is my great grandfather to see if I could find where he was born, all I keep coming up with is London, but not around the specific age I have got for him, he was born around 1872 which I have worked out from when he died if anyone can help? Thanks Amie

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 1 Apr 2004 09:53

the age may be mistranscribed, don't forget they had to translate handwriting. Could his age be an error??? Was he married, if so do you know the name of his wife, did he have children, do you know there names. You can use these as checking points, if so.

Gen

Gen Report 1 Apr 2004 09:54

Amie, Have you looked for him on 1881 census on familysearch website, there are only 12 of them so the process of elimination would not be to bad. Geood luck Gen

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 1 Apr 2004 09:56

Do you know his parents name at all. If you give me as much info as you have on him. I will try and find him

Judith

Judith Report 1 Apr 2004 10:04

The age given on death registrations can often be some years out as the person registering the death may not have known an exact age and made a guess; so be prepared to consider posibilities which are some years out. Judith

Amie

Amie Report 1 Apr 2004 10:13

I got the age from a burial record I know where he's buried and his wife was called Alice May Cox they had two children and one George William Slawson got his birth certificate and Cyril Slawson, then George married Phylis and they had 12 children three died, my father David Slawson was one of then and I'm his eldest, thats the background I've got on him, he was a Royal Engineer and worked at a Coillery as well? Amie

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 1 Apr 2004 10:17

Hi do you know when the children were born or when he married. Thanks

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 1 Apr 2004 10:19

Hiya Could this be his birth Births Sep 1878 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- SLAWSON George Francis Holbeck 9b 403

Amie

Amie Report 1 Apr 2004 10:41

The grand children all range from 60 -62 years down to last one at about 45 years old. I'm afraid my grandad died just before I was born about 20 years ago but Cyril is still alive but a bit frail, My grandad's wife died at Christmas and she was 80, if that helps, so it could be the Holbeck one could be right because alot of the rest of the family are in Nottinghamshire my dad was born around the area, thanks for the starting point?