Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Surname Change To Wifes Maiden Name???

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tc

Tc Report 31 Mar 2004 11:17

Hi Have a puzzle with my great Grandmothers family she was born Harriet Sparrow , father Charles, mother Louise (nee Linford) plus lots of siblings all born in Norfolk they are on 1861/1871 census as Sparrow, then suddenly by 1881 the whole family appears to have changed their name to Linford !!(mothers maiden name).By this time parents are living in North Yorks but can't find some relatives either as Linford or Sparrow, has anyone any ideas why they should all be called Linford? Thanks Rod

Pumphrey

Pumphrey Report 31 Mar 2004 12:34

Possibly the husband left her and she reverted her name (although probably not officially) My husbands ex-wife did the same thing although the kids are still known by his name. Other than that i cant think of another reason. Pam :-)

BobClayton

BobClayton Report 31 Mar 2004 12:55

A freind of mine had a "bust up" with his own family so changed his name to his wifes. Bob

Kim

Kim Report 31 Mar 2004 14:14

I don't think there is any law to say a wife must have the husband's name , I think it is just british tradition that the wife takes the husband name. Indeed have come across a case in the past where the husband did just not like his surname and his wife's was more acceptable so took hers. Could also happen I suppose if there was some sort of scandal or bad association with the name,say a member of the family in prison etc, where they change names to disassociate the family from questions about the name. KIM

Jeffrey

Jeffrey Report 1 Apr 2004 10:49

Hello We had family called Moore and middle name was Baldwin from mother in 1881 family lost Moore and all family became Baldwin but reverted back to moore in 1891 Jeff and Michele

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 1 Apr 2004 10:57

Could be that there were a family of girls and someone wanted to keep the name going. Any Wills mention this?

BobClayton

BobClayton Report 1 Apr 2004 12:43

Kim is right that a women may use maiden or husbands name. You use birth cert or marriage cert as evidence of which. You always retain your birthname and it is entered on your death cert and sometimes gravestone. (thought I would cheer you all up) Bob

Kim

Kim Report 1 Apr 2004 13:51

And apparently I read somewhere that French women always keep their maiden names on official records and all their records are files together ie. when they marry their birth records are kept with their marriage records. Must make genealogy simpler over there!

Anne

Anne Report 1 Apr 2004 15:00

I know of a family who reverted to the wife's maiden name to satify a demanding will. It was presumably to keep the mane alive and the husband didn't mind so long as they got the money!!! Anne

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 1 Apr 2004 15:10

Hi, It's possible she wasn't married to her "husband. Have you found the marriage on the GRO or any births of the children? Gwynne

Sandra

Sandra Report 1 Apr 2004 17:13

had a similar problem great gran starts off as Trim nee Dowell on my grandfathers birth cert goes to Annie Frances nee Dowell on his brothers we are called dowell but havent found any marriage for any names. thought I might have found some help a 2nd cousin on here but he only put his name onfor fun and is now bored dosent want any contact. wont be beaten I will keep trying I think!! sandra