Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

e mail - do I open this ?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mary

Mary Report 31 Mar 2004 08:59

Received an e mail from karen shaw - subject Delivery protection, with an attachment. With all the e mail problems of late do I open this or not ? Mary Brooke

Mary

Mary Report 31 Mar 2004 09:05

Thanks Liz - I've never heard of her - I'll delete it. Mary

Crista

Crista Report 31 Mar 2004 12:14

Mary, This is the Netsky virus. Crista

Mary

Mary Report 31 Mar 2004 16:40

Thanks Crista - I deleted it anyway. Is there anyway I would know if Igot another ? This one had an attachment which is why I queried it. Are there any that don't ? Mary

Sidami

Sidami Report 31 Mar 2004 19:46

I had two emails today that said about mail delivery unable to send they had attachments, i did delete them without opening them . I have anti virus for my computer if I had opened them would the anti virus of stopped me from getting it opened, not sure how this works.

Marc

Marc Report 31 Mar 2004 20:11

Hi Sue, Dont know how all anti virus programmes work but mine checks all attachments for viruses and tells you that if there is a virus there before you can open the attachment. It has saved me a few times!! Marc.

Janet

Janet Report 31 Mar 2004 20:17

Sue Providing your anti-virus was up to date, then yes, it would have removed the virus from the attachment. But ...... there's always a risk - after all, SOMEONE has to receive a new virus/worm first before people like Norton can provide an update for the rest of us! NEVER open an attachment if you are not expecting one!! I've been inundated with emails of this type over the last couple of days. Some have attachments, and others have a link, which looks as if it goes to your ISP - BUT IT DOESN'T - so don't click on it!! These emails are as a result of a mass mailing worm - at the moment it's one of the Netsky ones. You are probably in the address book of someone who's computer has been infected by the worm. That is how I understand it, anyway. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. Janet

MaggyfromWestYorkshire

MaggyfromWestYorkshire Report 31 Mar 2004 20:56

I have had a few of these dodgy looking e-mails this week. Also had some asking for bank details. Any that I am doubtful about, get deleted and have been virus free so far, luckily. Maggy

Crista

Crista Report 31 Mar 2004 21:54

Hi Mary, All I can say is get some anti-virus software and make sure you download the updates. Crista

Kim from Sandhurst

Kim from Sandhurst Report 31 Mar 2004 22:44

I am sorry if I am going to offend some people, but I am talking from experience. I truely understand that people have to buget for a computer, I did 3 years back, didn't bother buying an Anti-Virus programme as that would put another £20 on the bill, but learnt the hard way and £800 later, paying the price. Please invest in the updated Norton programme, you will not have to ask 'is this a virus' as it will tell you, so long as you, are doing your live updates on schedule every day, Norton will 'TELL' you, and quarentine it. We all know that these viruses are out there on attachments or what ever, it's in the press or on our home page, warning us to do updates or downloads to try and irradicate the prob. So if you are getting emails with attachments that are carrying a virus, or you feel are suspect, then the Anti-Virus programme you are using is not working, if it is not telling you so. Sorry if I seem blunt but I have had so many emails with viruses that Norton has picked up on. Thank God for Norton!!!!!!! Kim

Mary

Mary Report 1 Apr 2004 16:00

I have Norton anti virus and Firewall and attachments are checked (so it says) for viruses. I'm updated so thought I should be ok. This is the first one I've actually received though there have been problems with e mails bouncing back to the sender from time to time. Seems ok now........fingers crossed ! Mary Brooke