Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

RAF service numbers around 1949

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Christopher

Christopher Report 28 Mar 2004 13:09

I am tring to trace the origin of an RAF service number as to wether it is English/American/or Australian. The RAF service number is 196532. Anybody who served in the British RAF at around the time of 1946 -1949 would know the difference between their number and the one above and I would be greatful for their input as to how the number above is different from theirs. Other than that could anybody direct me to a source where I can compare this number with any coutries RAF numbers of this period Chris Claxton.

Paul

Paul Report 28 Mar 2004 14:57

Have you tried the MOD(RAF). They may be able to help. Paul

Sharon

Sharon Report 28 Mar 2004 22:31

If you try the official RAF website there may be an address. They were very helpful for me last year .My father served in the Raf 1945 to 1954 and i was able to buy his service records. they may be able to help its worth a try.

Malcolm

Malcolm Report 28 Mar 2004 22:47

Hi Chris I don't know where you live, if its in the uk try a local branch of the British Legion or better still find your local branch of the RAF assoiciation there's bound to be an ex RAF serviceman who served about that time to compare numbers with. Malcolm

Kevin

Kevin Report 28 Mar 2004 23:15

I don't think that you will be able to tell just from the number whether it was UK/USA/Canadian. However my grandfathers RAF number from WW2 was a 6 digit number starting with a 6 and by the time my father joined the RAF in 1960 they had added a letter at the begiining for the ranks and at the end for officers and had 7 numbers. The Navy has 1 letter in the middle of the number and the Army just has numbers. I do know that boy entrants (joined before 18 years old) to the RAF in the 60's their numbers started with a letter followed by 1 then the rest of the number eg S1234567 (this is how my fathers was). Auxillary (part time) members had a letter followed by a 2 eg S2345678 (this is how my and my colleagues are). And I think full time RAF have a letter then followed by a 6 eg S6789012 (from what i have been told). As far as i know that still hold true for today. So judging from your number beginning with a 1 I would say that it belongs to someone who joined at around 16 or 17 years old.