Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Looking for Info on Army Regiments please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 27 Mar 2004 15:31

My grandfather was in the 1st World War and was discharged due to having been gassed in 1917. He was born in 1870 and would have been in his 40's by this time. How would I find which Regiment he was in for 1914-18 war. In 1891 he was in the East Kent Regiment of Foot, he was 21 at this time, but was not in the army by 1894 when he married. What I am wondering is, would he have been on the reserve list from the East Kent Regiment, or would he have joined another Regiment based in Sheffield. Hope someone with army knowledge can help me. Margaret

Dawn

Dawn Report 27 Mar 2004 17:24

Margaret It may be worth your while having a look at the Kew Records site. They hold a lot of info at their records office to do with the Wars. I'm not sure of the address, but if you do a 'Google' search, it should come up. My Grandfather was also gassed in the trenches. It's so sad. Anyway, Good Luck Sarah.

Unknown

Unknown Report 27 Mar 2004 21:12

Thank you Sarah, I will have a look at that. Would it give me info or do you have to go to Kew? I can't do that as I live in Lancashire. Yes it is sad isn't it but at least he came home and then sadly died in 1924 of cancer of the lung. Makes you wonder if the gassing and cancer were connected. Margaret

BillinOz

BillinOz Report 28 Mar 2004 02:24

Have a look at ForcesReunited Margaret. http://www.forcesreunited.org.uk/index.asp

Joan

Joan Report 28 Mar 2004 08:33

What was your grandfather's name? I live almost nextdoor to the Royal Warks Regimental museum and I think they have a book their where one can look up all ww1 soldiers... Joan

Unknown

Unknown Report 28 Mar 2004 13:29

Thank you Bill in Oz. I will have a look at that one. I have looked on Regiments.org but they don't give me that sort of info. Thank you Joan, Have e-mailed you with more details. Many thanks to you both. Margaret

Dawn

Dawn Report 28 Mar 2004 14:55

Hello Margaret It looks like Bill and Joan have come up with some good ideas. I wish you all the best in your search. Yes, my Grandfather came home as well. He died in 1934 of the same thing as your Grandfather. My Dad was only eight months old. Take care and Good Luck. Kind Regards Sarah.

Unknown

Unknown Report 28 Mar 2004 21:37

Thanks Sarah. Need all the help I can get!! Margaret l

Malcolm

Malcolm Report 28 Mar 2004 23:01

Hi margaret I take it that you or no member of the family have any medals or even a photo. This is going to hard one to crack, if we have nothing to go on. I'm working on another thread on this board at the moment. I'll get back to you. Malcolm

Unknown

Unknown Report 29 Mar 2004 20:27

Hi Malcolm, The only photo we have of him is in the uniform when he was in the convelescent home somewhere in Yorkshire. I phoned hospitals in Halifax and surrounding areas but they do not keep the records from 1914-18. So came to a halt. We have no medals for him, that is why I asked for help in trying to find his regiment, thinking he may have been recalled to the East Kent Regiment of Foot or joined some other Regiment in Sheffield, where he was living at the time. PS. Have found the photo and on the back is written 'To Harry, Crossland Moor, 2.3.1918' Harry was one of his sons who unfortunately is now deceased. Margaret

Malcolm

Malcolm Report 29 Mar 2004 21:50

Hi Margaret Is your man wearing a hat with any form of badge on it? the time lapse between him leaving the army and WW1 would make it unlikely that he would be recalled to the BUFFS (East Kents). Soldiers were usually on reserve for 3 to 6 years. I think he may have joined a Yorkshire Infantry Regiment, he could also have joined Royal Artillary, Royal Engineers or the Army Service Corps as they recruited all over. He may have been in the territorials. Have you got an occupation for him on 1901 census Malcolm

Unknown

Unknown Report 29 Mar 2004 23:34

Hi Malcolm, No he was not wearing a hat, just a jacket that looks like it is 2 colours over a shirt and tie. The inside of the front fastening part of the jacket, where the button holes are, looks a paler shade that the rest of the jacket. I was told by my cousin that a lady he knew recognised it as the uniform of soldiers who were sent to these homes to recuperate. It is a light coloured shirt with a darker tie. He was a Railway Goods Checker after he got married in 1894 until he died in 1921, except for the 1914/18 war period. Didn't think it would be that easy to find him in the Buffs!! His father was in the Buffs, full time soldier. Margaret

Malcolm

Malcolm Report 30 Mar 2004 08:39

Hi Margaret Railway workers were classed as a protected occupation and when called up would more often than not joined the Royal Engineers as they had specalist railway units. They constructed narrow gauge railways to the front line so that supplies could be brought from the rear to the front. There was a Salvage Squad program about the rennovation of one of these engines on T.V. not so long ago. Casualties wore hspital unifoms so they could be recognised as wounded and had done their bit,so photo will not be any help. This is looking hard, your best route might be looking for railway records that may give a clue to his military past. Malcolm

Ann

Ann Report 30 Mar 2004 08:55

You could try and see if the following can help you. Army Personnel Centre, HQ Secretariat, Historical Disclosures, Mail Point 400, Kentigern House, 65 Brown Street, Glasgow G2 8EX Phone 0141 224 3030. Don't know if this will be any help but good luck Ann

Stephen

Stephen Report 30 Mar 2004 09:08

The PRO at Kew has 2 usfull sites, one contains the medal rolls for WW1 and I believe that this is about too or has just gone on line at the PRO site. These records will just give you his name, number, Regt and medal entitlement. The 2nd is the actual service records for WW1 This is not on line. Sadly this is not complete at some of the records were destroyed in the blitz and burnt but a lot survive. As previously stated soldiers in hospital wore 'Hospital blues' this was a blue uniform with a red tie and no regimental badges. Re his unit, by 1917 you could have been posted to any unit to make up the losses. If you track down his unit, the PRO also holds the Regt War diaries so you may find out more there. Steve.

Unknown

Unknown Report 30 Mar 2004 18:50

Malcolm, Many, many thanks for your time in looking at this problem for me. Very much appreciated. I shall keep this thread for future reference. Ann, My grandfather has the initial W so will not come on line until November. Fingers crossed that I can find him then. Stephen, Again many thanks for that useful info. Also my thanks to Joan who went and did a search for me in her local army records. You have all been very kind and helpful. I appreciate your help so much!! Margaret