Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

A plea to those with errors and duplicate entries

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sheila

Sheila Report 26 Mar 2004 20:44

Hello all I wonder how many people have a problem when they think they have found a match only to be disappointed to find that someone has mistakenly entered someone on their charts twice. I understand that some times people have to be on twice but with so many errors how can we be sure the count on the computer of the numbers of entries is correct. To all those new to GC it is possible to correct errors if you follow the instructions given many times on this list. Thanks folks it will save my blood preasure.

Unknown

Unknown Report 26 Mar 2004 21:33

If im reading this right then surely there will still be a match albeit with one person rather than 2. My duplicate names stem from the fact that GC doesnt recognise the fact that cousins marry, whereas on my family tree program it links all the families together.

Caroline

Caroline Report 26 Mar 2004 21:43

I not only have several instance of cousins marrying, but a widower who married his wife's sister - that could do more than duplicate one name. .... I use Family Historian which copes very well.

Kim

Kim Report 26 Mar 2004 22:34

if you have found a match and contacted that person it will show in read against both names duplicated or not ,"CONTACTED" even though you may only have contacted one person. KIM

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 26 Mar 2004 23:50

I would like to add, that errors will occur, if different relatives enter THEIR version of person details,with differing items , such as a name in MY tree. GC. has the same person twice, once born in south africa, and once in johanesburg. another is born in england, and also in lincolnshire. Bob

Cheshire

Cheshire Report 27 Mar 2004 00:24

Hi Jaqualin I am quite new to this and have only used G.C I wondered who you used for your tree as I have cousins from one side married to cousins from the other. two sisters married to two brothers, and wondered how to link them, I could use a few hints and wrinkles trish

Karen

Karen Report 27 Mar 2004 07:15

Hi I have several duplicates in my tree which unfortunately are deliberate. GC has no other way to show cousins or 2 sisters marrying 2 brothers but as they would be on the same tree when you contact one of the names, the others should have contacted by them. Karen

Deborah

Deborah Report 27 Mar 2004 23:42

Hi all, Just thought I'd butt in and my two pen'orth worth. If you have other genealogy software on your computer, you can upload a gedcom file into your GC tree, that WILL accept any inter-family marriages. Debbie