Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Got stuck around 1910!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lindsey

Lindsey Report 26 Mar 2004 12:21

HELP! I have traced my fathers family only back to my grandparents, born in 1907 and 1910. However, I am estranged from my father so cant get any other information than what I and my Mum remember from over 10 years ago. Does anyone have any tips for progressing further back. I know my grandmothers maiden name and siblings, and my grandads siblings. Any help would be appreciated!

Anne

Anne Report 26 Mar 2004 13:35

If you know the names of your grandparents and their approx births you should be able to find their birth certificates and from there the names of their parents. It must be a bit frustrating for you, but on the other hand you are only in the same situation as those of us whose ancestors are all gone! Search the GRO index for the reference numbers and date of the birth either at your nearest large library or archive or an LDS Centre or on 1837online (for a fee) Good luck Anne

Irene

Irene Report 27 Mar 2004 01:39

Lindsey If you have the year then you will find a birth certificate, look at least 3 years either side just to be on the safe side. Once you have the birth certificate you will have both parents full name (we hope) sometimes they didn't put their 1st name down if they didn't use it. Then you can look for the marriage, always check that both parties have the same details. On the marriage you will either get of full age or if you are lucky they give their age unless they have lied but then its only a year or two (they were 19 and said they were 21) You will also get their fathers names and occupation. This will help you tie in with the census details. Freebmd you will be able to search for birth marriage and deaths 1837 - 1907 not all are on yet but it is free. 1837(.)com remove the bracket you will be able to search 1837-present day but it will cost you .10 to view a page. Check Freebmd first for the earlier ones. If you have any difficulties then ask for help. We love trying to sort it all out. Good Luck Irene

Lindsey

Lindsey Report 27 Mar 2004 13:03

Anne/Irene Many thanks for youradvice. im very new to this game as you can probably tell so its much appreciated. I have had a breakthrough already thanks to your advice so a very big thankyou to both of you!! Lindsey