Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What record office for St George in the East??

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lucky

Lucky Report 26 Mar 2004 00:01

Can anybody tell me what record office to apply to for a certificate issued St George in the East please. Thanks Diane

Karen

Karen Report 26 Mar 2004 00:17

hi I have rellies there.... think its hackney

Lucky

Lucky Report 26 Mar 2004 00:20

Thanks Karen, Thought it might be quicker to apply direct. Cheers Diane

Unknown

Unknown Report 26 Mar 2004 16:49

Diane, St George in the East comes under the London Borough of Tower Hamlets. You will find the Records Office at Bancroft Library, Stepney holds records of Baptisms, Marriages, Banns, Burials,, as well as Burial Dues, Land Tax, Register of tombs, vaults and gravestones, etc. for St George in the East. See also previous thread for those searching history in the East End of London. Good luck, Kathy

Lucky

Lucky Report 26 Mar 2004 18:46

Hello Kathy, Thanks for that info. Another reason to visit I think!! Cheers Diane

Unknown

Unknown Report 26 Mar 2004 22:18

Diane, I may have misunderstood. Do you mean a birth, marriage or death certificate AFTER 1837?? If so you can obtain this direct from The Register Office, Bromley Public Hall, Bow Road, London E3 3AA - Telephone: 020 7364 7883 - for £7. You'll need to give them details of dates, names, etc. However, the Records Office is at the Bancroft Library where you will find all Parish Records PRE-1837. Regards, kathy

Lucky

Lucky Report 26 Mar 2004 22:24

Hi Kathy got your email. That's great. I really wanted to know where to apply for the cert refs I've got, but the additional info is really useful, I really hope to have a trip later in the year. Thanks Diane