Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

GOOGLE TOOLBAR....Argggg!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Judy

Judy Report 25 Mar 2004 18:52

Can't stress often enough, anything that you get off the internet for free, that supposedly enhances your computer, can cause problems. See Below.....Judy

Judy

Judy Report 25 Mar 2004 19:02

GOOGLES TOOLBAR IS SPYWARE! With the advanced features enabled, Google's free toolbar for Explorer phones home with every page you surf, and yes, it reads your cookie too. Their privacy policy confesses this, but that's only because Alexa lost a class-action lawsuit when their toolbar did the same thing, and their privacy policy failed to explain this. Worse yet, Google's toolbar updates to new versions quietly, and without asking. This means that if you have the toolbar installed, Google essentially has complete access to your hard disk every time you connect to Google (which is many times a day). Most software vendors, and even Microsoft, ask if you'd like an updated version. But not Google. Any software that updates automatically presents a massive security risk. Security Risks The auto-update mechanism provides a new route for the introduction of malicious programs, which can be used to spy on the user. Malicious programs can download files, read the screen, monitor the keyboard, even listen through a microphone if one is connected. Rather than a bona-fide update, the auto-update feature could be used to send programs with undesired features. The activity of these updaters would not be detected by firewall tools, as they are expected to be periodically checking for updates and downloading them. Further, the most careful reverse-engineering of the updater would not reveal anything unexpected. A third party could intercept the requests for updates and send a malicious program instead. This can be accomplished with a DNS hack, which would cause update requests to be sent to a different server. It would have to exploit some weakness in the communications protocol used for updating. These update protocols are proprietary, and therefore not open for peer security auditing. (As an example, a third party could trick the program into installing an older update which would appear valid, yet reintroduce a security hole that could be exploited.) The software company could send any program that they choose. We are to trust that the company would not send anything that we would object to. However, various companies have violated this trust, for example to spy on the browsing habits of the customer for marketing purposes, or to remove controversial features. Miscellaneous Risks Programs that download and display advertisements could be used as a point of entry by the company. The advertising program on the PC could be triggered in a pre-arranged way to download an "update" instead of an advertisement. Judy :(

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 25 Mar 2004 19:41

Thanks for that, Judy. Every time I go on Google I look at that toolbar and wonder if I should use it. I haven't because my ancient computer hasn't much memory - it's better since follwing your advice on emptying temporary files. Imagine if I had all that other cr*p using memory up!!!!! Maggie

Margaret

Margaret Report 25 Mar 2004 20:43

We appear to have 2 threads on this subject. Colin is saying that google toolbar is great and Judy that it is a no no. HELP

Judy

Judy Report 25 Mar 2004 21:02

I can only go by technical bulletins received at our computer shop and the amount of money (which is considerable) that we bring in removing the accumulated spyware put on computers from free downloads on the internet and toolbars that are installed. The above information was quoted from one of those bulletins and can be more than likely be found with an internet seach. I have no doubt that the programs and toolbars that people are quite happy with do the things that they advertise they do.....they are not, however, in the habit of advising you of the additional things they add to your computer without your knowledge or the damaging effects in the long run. If people are happy with these programs, by all means, use them.....however they should be aware of the security issues and problems they may cause and make informative decisions, based on the facts, on whether or not to use them. Judy :)

susie manterfield(high wycombe)

susie manterfield(high wycombe) Report 25 Mar 2004 21:08

i always used google bar but was fed up with the rubbish that i was getting so i use my old faithful "webferret" susie

Kim from Sandhurst

Kim from Sandhurst Report 28 Mar 2004 18:37

Judy, Please can you clarify something for me please? I use Google to surf, but I do not download anything. So is there a problem when I surf or if I only download something? I am on NTL who use Google as their search engine, should I look out for probs? Sorry to sound naive, but just spent a fortune on rebuilding this machine! Cheers for your advice Judy Thanks Kim

Mary

Mary Report 28 Mar 2004 20:25

Hi Judy, You really helped this computer dinosaur to do the housekeeping on a basic machine... but I didn't realise that the Google toolbar was such a spy! Have looked at it, tried all the buttons, but , of course, there's no way to remove it, that I can find. Despite removing all the cookies etc, there has been one pop-up that won't go away- it offers an initial system wash free, presumably they then have to be paid for, & warns about who may be looking at what you are doing.... no doubt it's themselves looking! Judy, I'd be so grateful if you would tell me how to get rid of this sneaky toolbar- there's even a pair of beady eyes on the search button!

BobClayton

BobClayton Report 29 Mar 2004 12:35

I totally agree Colin. In addition the feedback features can be turned off if it bothers you. The Google bar has some useful tools and I don't think should worry anyone. The auto update ought to ask first though. Bob