Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

X - next to a birth entry - 1837

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Shelli

Shelli Report 25 Mar 2004 14:59

Hi, sorry if this has been asked before, but here goes. I've been trying to find a birth registration, found the person on 1881 & 1901 census so roughly know year of birth, 1854. There are two possibles although they are both variables of the surname. Both entries have a X next to them in the margin, does anyone know what this means? (Oh, should also add that the census info gives the correct surname so I could be barking up the wrong tree, I suppose it's possible his birth wasn't registered). Thanks Michelle

Kim

Kim Report 25 Mar 2004 15:00

Just guessing but does it mean they added another entry in pen at the bottom of the register inbetween yours and the next one? KIM

Shelli

Shelli Report 25 Mar 2004 15:02

There are several entries between them, and I must need my eyes testing because I've just realised that there is another possisble right above the 2nd entry with the X!!!

Deborah

Deborah Report 25 Mar 2004 15:40

Hi Michelle, A mark in the left hand margine generally shows an entry has been missed on the index, and the missing entry will be hand written at the bottom of the page. Debbie

Sharon

Sharon Report 25 Mar 2004 15:54

Hi Michelle An X in the margin next to an entry on the GRO index can also indicate that the entry has been put in out of alphabetical sequence. Sharon

Amanda

Amanda Report 25 Mar 2004 16:19

I found that my grandfather had an x next to his name and he was handwritten at the bottom of the page, this was for year 1922, there was no gro reference given just a note saying see year 1924. I checked the quarter I needed for 1924, and there he was. He had been registered two years after his birth, which confused me because I knew I had the right year of birth. The moral of the story, his parents were married in 1924, my guess is that they did not want their son registered out of wedlock. I wonder if my grandfather ever knew this!! Amanda