Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Searching Post 1901

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lynne

Lynne Report 24 Mar 2004 15:15

Hi all I am new to these boards but I hope that someone can help me. I am trying to trace my grandparents but don't know where to start as they were born post 1914. I know where to search the census for 1881,1891 and 1901 but don't know where to start looking for more up to date information. Thanks to anyone who can give me a starting point for this. Lynne

Mike. The Leicester Lad.(GC)

Mike. The Leicester Lad.(GC) Report 24 Mar 2004 15:51

Lynne. . . . 1.) Talk with any living relatives. taking notes as you go. 2.) Get hold of your parants marriage cert. Which will give the next generation back on both sides. 3.) In the meantime use the hints on getting started through the resouces centre( link on left hand side of this screen) Also in there, there is a link to usefull sites e.g. Free BMD and pay as you go 1837 on line etc: And there's always this site were there are plenty of folks only to willing to help you. Good Luck and welcome aboard..... MIKE.

Annie

Annie Report 24 Mar 2004 15:51

Hi Lynne It's much easier if your names are not too popular as it makes things a lot easier, but anyway it can be done .... If you know roughly when they were born you could search 1837 online at a reasonable cost for their births and find the registration. The register should show you their mothers' maiden names. If your great grandparents were married in the early 1900s or before then you might be lucky enough to find them on freeBMD. If not then you'd have to get hold of their birth certificates by ordering them online or at the relevant Register Office, these would give you mum's name and hopefully dad's! Your grandparents marriage certificate would give you hopefully their father's names and occupations and sometimes you get extra clues from the witnesses. Good luck Ann

Lynne

Lynne Report 24 Mar 2004 16:01

Thanks so much. I think I will be able to find my parents birth certs so will use that as starting point. I was struggling to get started as my roots are Scottish and most of the Scottish related sites seem to stop around 1901. Will try family search though. I am searching for the relatively rare surname of McLerie but have just found out that there are some 33 variations of spelling. I think its going to take a while to sort it all out. Thanks again. I'm sure I will be back here soon. Lynne