Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Desperate for help someone please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jan From Bristol

Jan From Bristol Report 24 Mar 2004 14:48

I have my gt grandmother's marriage certificate Julia Hickey married in 1891 found her on 1891 census ages ago and as she was still using the name Hickey thought the census was taken before she was married, fine so far, on the census it had her down as a Servant for some woman so this was correct as the woman she worked for I noticed was a witness on the marriage certificate. I then looked up Julia Hickey on 1881 and found her (right age and area ) with a stepfather and rest of her family, this was fine.. Until I went back to 1891 to look up step father, mother etc I find Julia listed again as Julia neenan??? Would it be possible to be on the census twice?? and in two different names?? OMG what a mess, someone please advice me. Jan

Kim

Kim Report 24 Mar 2004 14:59

I have a child on the census twice , once with his grandmother and once with his mother, must have been visiting grandparents on the night and was recorded twice. So yes, it is possible, if the enumerator travelled between to households the same person could have been recorded twice, but as for having two dfferent names now that is intriguing.... KIM

Jan From Bristol

Jan From Bristol Report 24 Mar 2004 15:04

Thanks Kim I am climbing walls trying to sort this out Jan

Jan From Bristol

Jan From Bristol Report 24 Mar 2004 17:44

Hi Ann the marriage was may 25th Her stepfathers name was Baker 1891 gives her as neenan with a daughter..Have also found a marriage between denis neenan and Julia Hickey in 1882.. At the moment I am going with the theory (I think) that this is not my Julia hickey..And that for the past year or so I have been trying to trace the wrong family..Someone else has found me another Julia Hickey in 1881 that is the same age, just wrong father...Oh I am in such a mess with it.. Jan

Jan From Bristol

Jan From Bristol Report 24 Mar 2004 17:59

I have tried Bmd for hours and hours cant find any clues there...I really need to get Julia's birth certificate but cant find her birth anywhere.. Jan

Montmorency

Montmorency Report 24 Mar 2004 18:12

what's the father's name on the marriage cert?

Jan From Bristol

Jan From Bristol Report 24 Mar 2004 18:15

Hi Robin the fathers name is William Hickey says he was a shoemaker.. Jan

Montmorency

Montmorency Report 24 Mar 2004 18:31

same problem with my own ggm born 1865. 1891 she's in service, 1881 she's missing (but there's a tempting red herring, also living with a Baker family!), birth not in the index. Had to find her in 1871 to confirm what family she belonged to, and then get a birth cert for her sister

Jan From Bristol

Jan From Bristol Report 24 Mar 2004 18:39

Robin I really belive I have been tracing the wrong family!! I could not trace Julia with her dad as william, and I thought it must have been the family with stepfather Baker as the area in london they were in Brentford in 1881 was where my gg grandad was from so I was convinced it was them..Today someone found me another family with a Julia Hickey in of the right age. But the fathers name is wrong. am really pulling my hair out Jan

Jan From Bristol

Jan From Bristol Report 24 Mar 2004 19:17

Hey Robin I just done what you did....Think I may have found them on 1871 fathers name correct... fathers occupation correct...Fathers wifes name catherine (my nan was called catherine) Julias age is out by 2 years, apart from that it all matches!! Jan :)

Montmorency

Montmorency Report 24 Mar 2004 20:11

I usually find the younger the child the more accurate the age, assuming it's been transcribed right. Teenagers often added a year or two, girls especially -- get out of school sooner, earn more, marry sooner -- all about growing up as fast as possible then

Jan From Bristol

Jan From Bristol Report 24 Mar 2004 20:16

Thank you very much for all your help Jan:)