Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trustee of Newton's Charity 1824 ?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 24 Mar 2004 09:16

I have found a 'possible' Ancestor, who is described as being "Trustee of Newton's Charity - 1824" has anyone any idea's how I could find out more about this Charity, if it still exists etc .. The Ancestor lived in the Flixton area of Manchester so I'm guessing the charity may have been a local one ? Is anyone in the Flixton or surrounding area's aware of this Charity maybe ? Where would I start to find info about this ? Any idea's ? Regards Elaine.

Geoff

Geoff Report 24 Mar 2004 09:46

NEWTON'S CHARITY "In the Parliamentary Returns of 1786, it is stated that William Newton in 1721 bequeathed 10l. for woollen cloth for the poor of this township. This legacy appears to have been lent to the trustees of the woollen stock charity at Ashton, in the parish of Winwick; 6s. 6d. is paid yearly by the above mentioned trustees as the interest thereof, and carried to the same account as the other charities above-mentioned. This township is also entitled to partake of the charities of John Guest, Edmund Molyneux and Edward Holt noticed under the head of the township of Wigan, and of Richardson’s charity noticed under the head of the township of Ince in this parish." Having said that, putting "Newton's charity" into Google seems to bring up hits in other counties as well!

Unknown

Unknown Report 24 Mar 2004 12:57

Thanks Geoffm, much appreciated. This info would apply to this 'Ancestor ?' as I understand he was wealthy, having looked at his pedigree, but at the end of the day, following this info probably wouldn't tell me if this person was in fact my 'Ancestor'. It was worth a shot ! and at least now I know more about this particular family. Thanks Elaine.