Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

does anyone have 1881 census with image? - im stum

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Julie

Julie Report 23 Mar 2004 21:11

hi everyone I have hit a hurdle in my research, found another rellie that i didnt know and now im confused. On the 1881 census on family search i have found great grandparents, and their children, all of whom i knew about, but also found someone who is listed as the mother of the head of the household, which was my great grandfather William Franklin. The confusion is that he is 29 according to family search, and the mother is 40! I know its possible she could have had a babe at 11 but not very likely?? Her name is - according to family search census - is Mary N Hollier and was born in Bedford and she is listed as a widow. Now heres more confusion, Williams father is listed on the 1881 census as living at a totally different address and listed as widower. So is she Williams mother and maybe they had split and he just listed himself as a widower, or is she his wife Elizabeths mother and the entry is wrong listing her as mother to the head?? I cant find any record of Elizabeths maiden name to compare with. if she is williams mother I guess the Hollier could be her maiden name which she had maybe gone back too if they had split? the address they are listed at on the 1881 is 12 Smith Street, Newington, Surrey On the listing of Williams christening, also on family search his mother is listed as Mary Ann with ??? for the surname. i could the N be a mistranscribe of Ann.? If anyone has the 1881 with images that could see what info is listed for mary that would be a great help, or any other info about her that anuone could find would be wonderful. I cant find any other record of her so far and am totally confused Thanks so Much Julie

Helen in Berkshire

Helen in Berkshire Report 24 Mar 2004 08:48

Hello Julie I also had a problem with a possible mis-transcription on the IGI of the 1881 census, so when I was at the Bracknell FH Fair recently, I went and enquired at the Society of Genealogists' Help Desk there. I was told I need to go to the Family Records Centre in London if I wanted to see the original 1881 image. Hope this helps. Helen

Julie

Julie Report 24 Mar 2004 11:44

thanks helen I was planning to spend week in london at easter doing some research, so will try and get to the family records centre and look at the image. while im there did you need a look up? Julie

Helen in Berkshire

Helen in Berkshire Report 24 Mar 2004 15:32

Julie Thanks very much for your offer - I'll email you direct. Helen