Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Annuitant?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Susanne

Susanne Report 23 Mar 2004 20:17

Please could someone tell me what an Annuitant is as rellie was listed as this on 1881. Thanks Sue

John

John Report 23 Mar 2004 20:20

Google says: A person who is entitled to receive benefits from an annuity.

Annie

Annie Report 23 Mar 2004 20:21

It's a kind of allowance. For example, someone might leave an investment in their will that paid out regular sums and didn't touch the capital. Originally I think they were annual payments, hence 'annuity'. I have a relative who was described as an 'annuitant' on a 1851 census. I haven't managed to find out who set up her fund yet. sadly. Ann

Susanne

Susanne Report 23 Mar 2004 20:23

Many Thanks, Looks like I have a bit of digging to do... Sue

VIVinHERTS

VIVinHERTS Report 23 Mar 2004 23:52

Got this as well. Lodger in my great grandfathers house was a women with one. I knew what an annuity was but not an annuitant. I looked it up in a dictionary. Viv.

Bob

Bob Report 24 Mar 2004 00:29

You should also note that an annuitant is the person on whose life is the basis of the annuity. This means that the allowance and the capital that pays it are lost on the death of the annuitant. So it can't be inherited. Bob