Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

keeping it all together

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Brenda

Brenda Report 23 Mar 2004 16:14

i am surrounded by so many bits of research on scraps of paper i was just wondering what methods everyone else uses to record everything. i really dont want to put everything on a computer cos im not that good. is there some huge piece of wallpaper i can use as i would like to see my tree set out on paper looking rather nice!

Kim

Kim Report 23 Mar 2004 16:18

Start with a piece of wallpaper and some "post it" notes, then you can move people around and up and down as you get more info! KIM

Zoe

Zoe Report 23 Mar 2004 16:36

Brenda. I use the post-it note technique - but I'm thinking of getting an extension to the living room wall to accommodate it. i also keep index cards for everyone I have on the tree. that way I can not down all the info I have on the (birth, marriage, death, spouse, children) and its really easy to pull out a bunch of cards to work out the families. On the reverse of the card I write their addresses from census' and also all teh searches i've done and what I have/haven't found. I find this system works brilliantly - especially if you find people and you're not sure where they fit in. just make up a card and if you fit them in later you have the info from before. I'm now up to two boxes of cards and several hundred people I'm trying to track and fit into various bits of the family and it still works as well now as it did when I started. It's a fantastically quick way to find someone if you're contacted with a query about a person on your tree you're not over familiar with Zoe

kazimet

kazimet Report 23 Mar 2004 16:44

my cousin has done the spare room with linning paper and puts her family tree on that she uses post it note to place the peron where they belong then when she has all the info pn that person she puts a photo if she has one all the dates and info then puts it all on an A6 portrait sheet of paper laminates it and sticks it to the wall with blue tack and uses lines to connect the people looks really good and she has pleanty of space on the walls

Mary

Mary Report 23 Mar 2004 16:56

Before I had the computer (still learning how to use it) I had photographs and information kept in plastic sleeves inside ring binders. Bits and pieces got added and now there are four of these ! Mary Brooke

Brenda

Brenda Report 23 Mar 2004 19:11

thanks everyone i particularly like the idea of the index cards i often find a name and think i should hang on to that one but never do/lose it and then wonder where i found it in the first place! sadly as to photos i so wish i had some old ones but still i can start with my ugly mush! what will future generations think?*

Kim

Kim Report 23 Mar 2004 22:00

You may find the forms on www.familytreemagazine(.)com/forms/download.html useful for using if you use a ringbinder.or www.staffs.ac(.)uk/census KIM remove those brackets !

Trish Devon

Trish Devon Report 24 Mar 2004 00:25

Hi Everyone, I have kept mine in a very neat card indexed box,I have for years,but since joining here I print off any info,and put it in a box file. I started to add my names to tree but only got to 4,I spend so much on the sites I dont have time now. Im thinking of just putting lining paper on the spare room,and add on there,if I make a mistake,just put another strip of paper up.Sounds good,but will be on the p.c.instead. Perhaps some wallpaper manufacturer will design a Family Tree,that would be interesting,but then they will charge about £15 A ROLL.Perhaps Ill stick to the card index for now. HEHEH trish

Brenda

Brenda Report 24 Mar 2004 17:47

love the idea of the wallpaper someone will already be manufacturing it as we speak. apologies to sue hare just found your email in my inbox. thanks for the tip do you mean download a paf file? will i be able to just put everything in list form.

Brenda

Brenda Report 24 Mar 2004 21:14

smashing super great found those forms to download from familytree arent they good!!!!!!! thanks