Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I'm stuck!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Elaine

Elaine Report 23 Mar 2004 12:38

I received my grandparents marriage certificate last week, and from the date of their marriage I worked out what year they were born, but I can't find either of them on 1837 online. any advice on what/where I should be looking please. Elaine p.s. the years I am searching are 1919 and 1912. thanks

Anne

Anne Report 23 Mar 2004 12:54

Consider that they may not have been entirely truthful about their ages. They could have increased or decreased their ages for various reasons. There were no checks made! Also consider if it was possible your grandmother could have been married before and so would re-marry under a name which was not her maiden name. Anne

cazzabella

cazzabella Report 23 Mar 2004 13:27

Hi Elaine, Anne is right, their ages may not be accurate so it's best to look a few years more. I assume your grandparents are no longer alive? If so, do you know roughly when and/or where they died? Deaths indexed from (April) 1969 show month and year of birth instead of age. Best wishes, Carole

Elaine

Elaine Report 23 Mar 2004 14:16

I suddenly realised just after I posted my message that they could have lied about their ages, apparantely my grandfather was 24yrs and my grandmother was 31yrs. Hadnt thought about her re-marrying again. thanks Elaine

Elaine

Elaine Report 23 Mar 2004 14:17

sorry, forgot to say that I have no idea whatsoever where or when they died, or indeed if my grandfather could still be alive! Elaine

Sue in Sx

Sue in Sx Report 23 Mar 2004 14:25

Elaine have you looked in 1901 to see what ages they gave there, it might give you another starting point - I have a pair of Birds who were serial liars where it came to their ages, only they know why - iv'e got them in 1881 1891 1901 and a marriage cert and they give wildly differing ages on all of them! Sue

Elaine

Elaine Report 23 Mar 2004 14:33

I'm still new to this, what's 1901?? ta Elaine

cazzabella

cazzabella Report 23 Mar 2004 15:08

Elaine, If you send me their names I will look on ancestry to see if there are any possible deaths for either of them indexed between 1984 and 2002. 1901 is the 1901 census online, but I assume you meant they were born 1919 and 1912, so that will be useful later, when you get further back. Carole