Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

GENERAL ADVISE PLEASE

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Claire

Claire Report 23 Mar 2004 11:10

How would I start finding out more details about my GG grandmother when all the information I have is her name was Laura Preston she had a child called Edward Sheridan in 1890 poss Wigan area (I don´t know if they had any more) and that my GG grandfather was also called Edward. Please help me as I have hit yet another brick wall. Thank You Claire

Mike. The Leicester Lad.(GC)

Mike. The Leicester Lad.(GC) Report 23 Mar 2004 11:32

Claire. . . . Which Salford are we looking for....... Manchester. Bradford. Oxfordshire ? MIKE.

Tracey

Tracey Report 23 Mar 2004 11:34

Have you tried pulling Edward the son's birth certificate yet? That should have her name and maiden name (if any) on it.

Unknown

Unknown Report 23 Mar 2004 11:47

I am going to try and find the possible GRO ref for you on 1837online ... back shortly Elaine.

Unknown

Unknown Report 23 Mar 2004 11:59

From March 1890 - March 1891 there are only two Edward Sheridan's listed. Edward Joseph, born Sept qtr of 1890, in W.Derby, Volume No 8b, page 394 Edward born Dec qtr of 1890 in Wigan, volume No, 8e, page 40. Most of my Ancestors lived in Salford BUT were born in both of these area's and others besides. Hope this narrows the field down for you .. Elaine.

Claire

Claire Report 23 Mar 2004 13:24

Hi Mike I am looking for Salford Manchester. Claire x

James

James Report 23 Mar 2004 15:41

Hi, Just a thought. Have you tried the 1901 census person search. I found my brick wall started to crack with that. Hope it helps. Jim

Mike. The Leicester Lad.(GC)

Mike. The Leicester Lad.(GC) Report 23 Mar 2004 16:57

Claire. . . . I've found the two that Elaine has mentioned and also found the following........ 1889. Edward Sheridan. Wigan 8c. 71. July.Qrt. 1891. Edward Sheridan. Wigan 8c. 41. Oct. Qrt. Wigan is only 14.3 miles from Salford. Interesting found..... 1892. James Tomas Sheridan. Salford. 8d. 172. Apr. Qrt. could this be a brother ? Other Edwards but in the Liverpool area. also checked the V.R.I. but no results. MIKE.

Claire

Claire Report 24 Mar 2004 08:26

Hi Mike Thank you for this at present I am unsure if that is his brother but I will continue the search. Thank you Claire :)

Judith

Judith Report 24 Mar 2004 10:55

Hi Claire, Edward Joseph Sheridan is on the 1891 census Lancs West Derby Kirkdale RG12/2963 fo98 p17: 46 Sessions Rd Joseph Sheridan Head 23 sheet metal worker Lancs Liverpool Mary E Sheridan Wife 20 " " Edward J Sheridan Son 8 mo " " William Leary f in law Widower sheet metal worker Ireland Terence Sheridan Brother 14 Errand Boy Lancs Liverpool Two of the Wigan born Edwards can be discounted as there are two deaths- Edward Sheridan Age 0 Dec 1890 Wigan 8c 35 Edward Sheridan Age 1 Dec 1892 Wigan 8c 27 Hope this helps Judith

Claire

Claire Report 25 Mar 2004 11:50

Thank You for this information Its much appreciated. Regards Claire :)