Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Adoption Information

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Michael

Michael Report 23 Mar 2004 10:29

Have just recently found out that I have a half brother who was born in Kingston upon Thames in 1950. I have located his birth certificate through birth records, my problem is I am sure he was adopted shortly after birth and would like to know from anyone what if anything can be done to find an adopted brother. I live in the States and have no idea,what the laws are pertaining to adoptions, or if I am allowed to look at adoption records. He is the last of my family and would like to try and find him before I die. Any information would be greatly appreciated

Claire

Claire Report 23 Mar 2004 10:59

Hi Michael I am trying to contact adopted relatives. The advise that I have been given is you will need to contact the Social Services here in the UK. They may ask you to prove that you are related as their are strict laws about confidentuality. I hope this helps Good Luck Claire

Joanne

Joanne Report 23 Mar 2004 13:40

there are contact registers you can apply to be added to one held a the register generals office and if he should be on it they will inform you and pass on your details to him. can give address if you want . Dont think adoption agency or social services will give you any information but its worth ago

cazzabella

cazzabella Report 23 Mar 2004 13:42

You could also register with both of the following - the 'uk adoption register' at http://www.ukbirth-adoptionregister(.)com/ the ONS register at http://www.statistics.gov.uk/nsbase/registration/Adoptions/AdoptionContactRegister.asp I hope you are successful. Best wishes, Carole

Zoe

Zoe Report 23 Mar 2004 14:15

Michael, can you contact me please. I have roots in kingston Upon Thames and can try and help out with tracing to see if he is still around with his birth name Zoe

Seasons

Seasons Report 23 Mar 2004 15:57

You need to find out what adoption agency he was adopted from ie Social Services (state) or Dr Barnado's or other Church Adoption Agency. If you then write to them with a letter that will be put in his adoption file so that if he requests his file he will find the letter - or perhaps if its already been released forward your letter on. These are useful sites for posting messages www lookupuk(.)com - it has adoption section www missing-you(.)net You could also try friendsreunited in the trying to find section. or if you went to school here add your details and a message. Do you have the same birth surname as your brothers original one? Then he may have searched too but couldn't find you as you are in the US. Another possibility is an insert in the Personal Column of the local Newspaper covering where you lived/he was adopted from. Let us know how you get on or if we can help.