Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Can't find Alice Winkles on 1881

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kim

Kim Report 22 Mar 2004 21:50

Can anyone help me find Alice Winkles . I have her on 1901 with the Synn famliy which looks like Sym on the original document, but cannot find her on 1881 or anywhere. have found her brother Jack on freebmd but cannot find him on 1881 either! help! info from 1901 is Alice Winkles age 30 so born 1870/1 in Plymouth Devon, brother Jack is age 31 born Birmingham, Staff. so born 1868/9. The thing I'm trying to work out is whether they were brother and sister or husband and wife ! confused person here! WHAT'S NEW! Kim

*****me*****

*****me***** Report 22 Mar 2004 22:05

hi kim, there are 3 alice winkles on 1881 census(family search site) they are:1867 warwick, 1869 old ford middlesex, 1863 birmingham warwick. is that any good to you? have a look at the site, bit tricky at the moment tho. good luck, chris. p.s. if you can't get on there,give me a shout and i'll try it for you.

Sue in Sx

Sue in Sx Report 22 Mar 2004 22:07

Kim - have you tried putting in surname only and country - there are 400 + assorted Winkles in 1881 - it will be a long trawl but might just be worth looking through them all. Sue

Crista

Crista Report 22 Mar 2004 22:29

Kim, In 1901, Alice is living with her parents. William and Sarah are Alice's parents and James is her brother. I think the name is Symons. Alice is married to Jack Winkles and they have a 3 year old daughter. Here is her family in 1881 Wm. SYMONS Head M Male 44 Plymouth, Devon, England Shoemaker Sarah SYMONS Wife M Female 40 Plymouth, Devon, England Mary Ann SYMONS Daur Female 14 Plymouth, Devon, England Servant Sarah SYMONS Daur Male 12 Plymouth, Devon, England Alice SYMONS Daur Female 11 Plymouth, Devon, England Emily SYMONS Daur Female 8 Plymouth, Devon, England Rhoda SYMONS Daur Female 7 Plymouth, Devon, England James SYMONS Son Male 4 Plymouth, Devon, England -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Source Information: Dwelling 11 Waterloo Street Census Place Plymouth Charles The Martyr, Devon, England Family History Library Film 1341527 Crista

Crista

Crista Report 22 Mar 2004 22:38

Here's their marriage: Marriages Dec 1896 Symons Alice Plymouth 5b 560 Winkles John Plymouth 5b 560 and here he is in 1881: Household: Name Marital Status Gender Age Birthplace Occupation John WINKLE M Male 56 Birmingham Gold Cutter Sarah WINKLE M Female 53 Birmingham Melinda WINKLE Female 14 Birmingham Chain Maker John WINKLE Male 11 Birmingham Scholar Crista

Kim

Kim Report 23 Mar 2004 08:16

Thankyou for your input and now I'm even more confused! Crista, you say Alice is living with parents in 1901 but the one I found with the "Synn" family it says sister on the transcription and single and that shes born plymouth. I am really confused now. Will check out your info . Thankyou KIM

Kim

Kim Report 23 Mar 2004 08:43

Crista thanks your info checks out , the only thing is they seem to have got the relationships wrong on the original 1901 census and that's what stuck me up a gum tree. I had thought that Jack and Alice were brother and sister and just lodging with The "synn" "Symons" lot and that Alice senior had an illegitmate child. What you have found makes more sense to me just hope its right now. Alice Winkles b1897 was my grandfather's first wife who he left in 1922 after she had passed a child off as his when it wasn't very shortly after they married! So I'm now interested in finding that "child" . They may have been a "Dale" but could also be a "Winkles" as he disowned the child and left his wife. he was then cut off from rest of family mostly and hated!! by his sister. I'm probably opening up a can of worms but would like to get to bottom of it all ..... thanks again Crista!