Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I really need your help and advice!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Caroline

Caroline Report 22 Mar 2004 18:38

see below

Caroline

Caroline Report 22 Mar 2004 18:39

I'm having real trouble trying to locate the marriage and therefore births of Caroline Taylor and George James Douglas. My g-grandmother was born Feb 1891 as Caroline Douglas, her birth certificate names the father as James Douglas as does the 1901 census but her marriage has him down as George James. As you can imagine there are quite a few Douglas' and Taylor's but I cannot find this marriage! Does anyone have any ideas on where to look. Family gossip says that Caroline Taylor was an Irish Ladies Maid and he was Scottish and that they married in Newcastle. The 1901 has them both down as being born in Paddington, Middx as well as their oldest daughter, Elizabeth, b. 1888ish. I have searched FreeBMD and Ancestry for the marriage but nothing. Please advise! Regards Caroline p.s. forgot to mention that her birth cert says she was born in Chipping Norton Union Workhouse but she has younger brothers and sisters so assume that if her parents were Inmates that they left...is this common?

Shirlock

Shirlock Report 22 Mar 2004 19:53

Hello Caroline Some of the Chipping Norton Workhouse records are at the Oxfordshire Records office archives@oxfordshire(.)gov(.)uk They have guardians Minute books 1837 -1927 Admissions and discharges 1906-1916. Punishment books 1914 - 1936 etc. few pree 1900 records. If you type workhouses into search click on history of workhouses then, scroll down and type chipping Norton in the box. The above info was on No 3. Chipping Norton Poor Law and Union Workhouse. It also has photos. Shirley

Caroline

Caroline Report 24 Mar 2004 13:39

Thanks Shirley but I've already looked at that to no joy.

Pamela

Pamela Report 24 Mar 2004 20:38

Caroline, Not much positive help, but the Newcastle registers are available to search on line, sorry cant remember address since I access it via a link with the NDFHs web page, but at least it narrows the possibilities down, and you can check spouses so it may turn something up. Pam