Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Delusions of Grandeur!!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

VIVinHERTS

VIVinHERTS Report 21 Mar 2004 21:49

Any thoughts on a family member who changed his middle name somewhere along the line? Henry J. Tucker (photographers assistant) aged 15 on 1881 census and Henry Sutherland Tucker (accountant) aged 34 on 1901 census. Same person from same family.Big headed or what. Found a vague reference to Charterhouse School/College but was unwilling to join the site just for the info. Perhaps this had some influence on him?

Bob

Bob Report 21 Mar 2004 21:52

Could the J on the 1881 be a mistranscribed S?

Emma

Emma Report 21 Mar 2004 23:19

Vivienne, Your family in 1871 are: Robert Tucker, head, mar, 32, photographer's asst, Ware Hertfordshire Ellen Tucker, wife, 31, Middlesex St Pancras Robert A, son, 7, St Pancras Henry S, son, 5, St Pancras Ada I? M, 2, St Pancras Ellen E, 9mo, Islington Elizabeth A Lawday, lodger, mar, 49, annuitant, City of London at 56 Offord Road, Islington West, Islington St Mary, London Source information: RG10/264 Registration district: Islington Sub-registration district: Islington West ED, institution, or vessel: 40 Folio: 81 Page: 11 So looks like a possible mistranscription on the 1881. Emma.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 22 Mar 2004 07:27

We had the same problem tracking a Daniel B., who twice married with that name but at marriage number 3, he suddenly became Daniel Granville B. Only certificates showing occupations and address proved what we had suspected, - that he was the same person. No known link to the new name has been found.

VIVinHERTS

VIVinHERTS Report 22 Mar 2004 08:47

Thank you everyone, especially Emma. As you say,a misstranscription. The trouble is he is not the only one in the family with name problems. On his sister in laws marriage certificate she is Rebecca Lilian Turner. 1881 census does not appear unless she is TILBEY , son aged 3 months. 1891 is LILLIE and 1901 LILIAM. Record of birth is LILLEY. Work that one out someone please!

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 22 Mar 2004 10:48

I had the opposite problem. On my grans birth certificate, her father is given as Sidney Gifford Johnson, her mother Mary Annie Best. I managed to get their marriage certificate, he is still Sidney Gifford, she is now Annie and one of the witnesses is Frederick Ivan Johnson. I could not find his birth anywhere. Looked up Gifford deaths thinking this could be his late father's surname - nothing. He was born in 1883 so wasn't on the 1881 census. I thought he may have had a sister called Beatrice, as my gran was brought up by a Beatrice after her mother died. Evenually I found a 1891 census. There he was. His name wasn't Sidney at all, it was Gifford. Frederick's real name was just Ivan. Names too posh/unusual for tin miners? They also had a brother called Sylvanus!

Rosi

Rosi Report 22 Mar 2004 11:03

Some of my probs (I have posted earlier threads) arise from a rellie being baptised William Stephen K, marrying named William Stephen Mosson K., and then fathering children (bar 1)using only the William Mosson K part of his name - forgetting the Stephen. Only his wife's name (and help and suggestions from GC members) put me back on track - and thank goodness for the 'bar 1' ! Happy Hunting - Rosi

VIVinHERTS

VIVinHERTS Report 22 Mar 2004 11:12

Glad my family is not the only one!!!! Viv.