Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Royal Ordinance Core

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Naomi in SW

Naomi in SW Report 21 Mar 2004 21:39

see below

Naomi in SW

Naomi in SW Report 21 Mar 2004 21:43

After a successful trip to my Mum's cousin yesterday trying to get names to faces on old, old photo's. I gave her a picture of my Grandad, her Uncle John. He was in army uniform but I didn't know what. It was dated 1941. She told me he was in the Royal Ordinance Core as my Nan used to say the Royal Audience Core and this was why she remembered. Anyway, does anyone know what they did and where I might find more information. I don't think it'll be at Kew as I'm sure they only go upto WW1. Cheers Naomi

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 21 Mar 2004 21:49

Hiya!! If you type into Ask Jeeves or Google Royal Army Ordnance Corps it shows you a link to their website. Have fun!! Maz. XX

Jim

Jim Report 21 Mar 2004 21:52

Hello Naomi. I read your note and feel I should advise you to lookup them up via Google where you will find all sorts of information including their Museum etc. By the way. As they were and still are the people who handle all the EXPLOSIVES etc. for the Army, may I suggest that you address them in any written query by their correct title!! No army unit is known by the word Core it is Corps. but pronounced as you wrote it. Their correct title is Royal Army Ordinance Corps. in short RAOC. We don't want you shot or used for cannon fodder you know. Good luck Jim

Naomi in SW

Naomi in SW Report 21 Mar 2004 21:59

Thanks everyone. I wasn't too sure on the spelling of Corps/Core so thanks for correcting me Jim. I know he was injured in his time in the Corps. As far as my memory serves I remember being told he fell through a roof and damaged his heel. He had special boots and a cane after the war and when I was a child the MOD supplied him with a mini-cooper to pootle about in. My Dad was named as his co-driver! After my Grandada died, the MOD sold the mini to my Dad for £25. After my Dad died I sold it to my ex boyfriend for £500. Not bad! Naomi

Jim

Jim Report 21 Mar 2004 22:11

Hello again Naomi As I did my 'life' in the Army, I am aware how touchy the Depot and Museum people are about correctness so please don't think I was pushing you at all. Profit of a different kind eh? That mini would fetch a lot more nowadays though. Good luck with your searches Jim

Naomi in SW

Naomi in SW Report 21 Mar 2004 22:24

No worries Jim. I get uppity about my name being spelt wrong so can imagine the army would too! Also wished I kept the mini although didn't remember it fondly yesterday on the way to Bognor as I remember it breaking down on the way there during torrential rain when I was young. Naomi

Geoff

Geoff Report 22 Mar 2004 00:02

Sorry Jim Since you're being picky on spelling, I'll just point out that the word which has something to do with artillery is ORDNANCE - ordinance in something totally different!