Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

missing marriage

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Scrummy

Scrummy Report 21 Mar 2004 19:29

John Thomas Titchiner married Esther Henrietta Salmon at St Mary Whitechapel on 20th March 1854 He died St Botolph 21 October 1858. In Feb 1867 my grandmother Florence Cicely was born to Esther Henrietta Hawley formerly Salmon in Bethnal Green (there had been previous children of this union) Both JT Titchiner and William Hawley were master hairdressers and both gave the same address 10 Liverpool Buldings Bishopsgate. I can find no record of the marriage of EE Salmon (Titchiner) or William Hawley. Have looked under both names. Does anyone have any ideas as to where else I can look, or does this marriage seem not to have been registered. Why does she give her name as formerly Salmon onthe birthcertificate when her previous married name was Titchiner? any help appreciated

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 22 Mar 2004 07:45

Have you found Esther in 1861 at any of the addresses known to you? ie. from 1st marriage certificate, John's death or children's birth certificates. Although not actually answering your question, it might give you a guide to what she was known as, and when. Parish records then may show something not transcribed to GRO.

Pat Kendrick

Pat Kendrick Report 22 Mar 2004 08:30

I had a similar birth with one of my husbands rellies. The birth certificate states this rellie as illegitimate, it has his mothers name (maiden) and his father's (who was present at the registration. The following year the mother got married to someone else. Now if you look on the LDS site she was married to the father. I think this is perhaps something they automatically do any maybe do not have the software to deal with the complexities of these kind of records. Also could William have been an apprentice of John (an apprentice often lived in the bosses abode) and after John died remained at that address. See if you can find them on the 1851/61 census. Good luck pat