Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Another 1901 puzzle that needs new brains!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Hilary

Hilary Report 21 Mar 2004 13:34

Edwin and Frances LENSH had 7 children. But when Edwin died suddenly in 1898 at the age of 36, from a brain tumour, he left his wife pregnant with their seventh child. The family were inevitably unable to cope and the children were split up. In the 1901 census, I finally found the three daughters together in a catholic home, as follows: Franciscan Convent, 3 Lower Boston Road, Hanwell, Middx. Bertha Linch age 12, born London Mabel Linch age 9, born London Lily Linch age 7, born London Then there were the 4 boys: EDWIN JOHN LENSH born 1st May 1890, Islington WILLIAM ARTHUR LENSH born 2nd Feb 1896, Islington WALTER ERNEST LENSH born 1st Feb 1897, Islington FREDERICK LENSH born 8th July 1898, Hornsey I know that all four boys were alive after 1901, but the only one that I can find is Walter who in the 1901 census is at St Joseph's Boys Home, Holtwhite Hill, Enfield. I have tried many variations of their name but can anyone please spot the other 3 boys in the 1901 census? Only the girls stayed together in later life and yet the boys seem not to have known of their siblings. So I am trying to find out when they were separated. PS Their mother Frances Lensh nee Mullen born about 1866 in Hoxton, has also disappeared by 1901. Thanks everyone! Hilary

Lynda

Lynda Report 21 Mar 2004 18:54

Hi Hilary Have you tried under the name Lench (suspect you have) there was a william and a Fred born london area, ages about right. It 's just a hint, will leave it to see what you think. Good luck lynda

Hilary

Hilary Report 21 Mar 2004 19:09

Yes, I've tried Lench and looked at the one's you mention, but it's not them. Thanks anyway.

Kim

Kim Report 21 Mar 2004 20:58

HAVE YOU TRIED JUST LE OR LI WITH **WILDCARDS AND AGES? SOMETIMES IN SOME HOMES THEY WERE JUST LISTED UNDER INITIALS OR FIRST NAMES , TRY PUTTING MIDDLE NAMES IN SURNAME BOX? Kim