Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help with Limerick query

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Catherine

Catherine Report 20 Mar 2004 16:01

I would be grateful if anyone could help. I was born in Ireland and adopted in scotland,and have all my adoption records from Scotland. I wrote to the adoption agency in Co Cork, for more details on my birth mother. They have written to me to say attended Sarsfield Court Hospital a year after my birth in 1960, and has returned to the rural area she first came from. Was sarsfield hospital in Limerick? and how do I find out where the rural areas are there? to begin my search. I know her name and that roughly her date of birth, but do not know where to begin. I would really appreciate your help. Kath

Gen

Gen Report 20 Mar 2004 16:38

Catherine, I typed in Sarsfield Court hospital Ireland and some info came up I think it is actually St Stephen's Hospital Sarsfield Court, and it is in Cork and a phychiatric unit so maybe your birth mother had depression after giving you up for adoption and after treatment returned to Limerick. Although back in the 60's being a single parent, if that is what she was, was frowned upon especially in Ireland so maybe her family shipped her off to the hospital. Good luck with your search I truly hope it has a successful and happy conclusion. Gen