Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

When registrars spelt names wrongly in their entri

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jannice

Jannice Report 20 Mar 2004 01:26

Does anyone know anything about the surname of SEDEN please? It seems an odd spelling and I'm wondering how reliable it is. It is given as my Gloucestershire born grandmother's maiden name in 1872.

cazzabella

cazzabella Report 20 Mar 2004 02:16

Hi Jannice, Most likely a variation of Seddon. Carole

Deborah

Deborah Report 20 Mar 2004 02:29

Hi Jannice, Most common variations seem, to be Seddon & Sedden. Debbie

Sylvia

Sylvia Report 20 Mar 2004 07:17

I have a marriage cert for Amelia Mary Ann "LITITETY" and John Garfield dated 1858, Bethnal Green. I hereby issue a challenge to anyone to come up with the correct name :-( I've tried every variation I can think of in LDS and FreeBMD with no luck. Even contacted the GRO to see if they had any ideas - nope! One illiterate registrar!!!! and X marks the spot as far as her signature goes oh dear Sylvia

cazzabella

cazzabella Report 22 Mar 2004 04:39

Hi Sylvia, Did you get your cert fom the Gro? If so, try contacting the local register office for Bethnal Green, tell them the problem and ask if they can check their indexes instead. Carole

Sylvia

Sylvia Report 22 Mar 2004 10:08

Ahhh, now there's a thought, thanks Carole And thanks Irene, I'll have a look at that too

Pamela

Pamela Report 24 Mar 2004 21:22

Could it be Lightle or Lightley aka Litley? Pam

Jan From Bristol

Jan From Bristol Report 24 Mar 2004 21:32

was looking at different names it could be Name: Littley, Amelia Record Type: Marriages Quarter: June Year: 1866 District: Bethnal Green County: London Middlesex Volume: 1c Page: 629

Sylvia

Sylvia Report 25 Mar 2004 08:04

Thank you everyone, a couple of variations there I hadn't tried. And a marriage for another Amelia with a very similar name? I have my Amelia's marriage cert to John Garfield dated 1858, Hmmm?