Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Shacked up?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rosi

Rosi Report 19 Mar 2004 23:01

I am happy that I have received (at last) from ONS the cert for the marriage of William Kearns to Mary Shelton Miles. It has proved that my original idea was rubbish and a generation amiss - but now it all makes much better sense! Why didn't he use all 4 of his names on the birth registers for all of his children?! But, the query is that the 1881 shows his wife, right age, right name, with the right children living in Brighton - she is not listed as a widow - but William is not there. However, I have found a very likely William Kearns, right occupation, exactly the right age, right area, living in London with a 'wife' ( I cannot find a marriage) 13 years younger than him, and with a much younger family. Presumably it was just as common place, if not more so, as divorce was so difficult then, as it is now. Am I likely to be right do you think? Rosi

Rosemary

Rosemary Report 20 Mar 2004 18:21

Yes I think it is possible and that it happened in quite respectable families. Divorce was not an option as it was too expensive for most people. I linked up with a distant relative on here and gave details of my great grandparents family. She was delighted and sent for her G. grandfathers birth certificate(I am a generation older than her). When it arrived the mother was the person listed as Housekeeper on the 1881 census. My G. grandmother was living in another area of the city, but her daughter(my grandmother) was still living with her father(my G. grandfather) and the house keepers two sons! They married shortly after the death of my g.grandmother. Rosemary(Essex)

Pat Kendrick

Pat Kendrick Report 20 Mar 2004 22:13

And we thought fre love all started in the 60's. They certainly were not as straight laced as they are made out to be Pat

Rosi

Rosi Report 21 Mar 2004 12:24

Thanks Rosemary (and Pat). Interestingly William was employed as a solictors clerk and was later a solicitor - so if anyone would know how to do it he would! I cannot find a death for him, let alone either of his 'wives' - if I could it might clear the water a bit. I have found the registration details for the birth of one of the offspring of the 2nd family I have sent for the cert. but it is not even due to be despatched until 30th March - but that just might give further weight to my growing conviction that the two Williams are the same chap.

Pat Kendrick

Pat Kendrick Report 21 Mar 2004 14:37

Rosi What a devious chap he was. Do let us know the result of your search. Pat (again)

Jenny

Jenny Report 21 Mar 2004 17:41

I had exactly the same situation in my family tree. My ancestor was living with the woman who would later be my grandfathers grandmother. They had children together who took her name and she is listed as housekeeper. He managed to get a divorce eventually and they married. Like you I was a bit surprised. Jenny

Unknown

Unknown Report 21 Mar 2004 17:48

I have a family in my tree who didn't get married till after all the kids were born and the kids have the mothers surname as a middle name. Poor lady died shortly after she was married. Then he was with another lady, not found a marriage as yet, and had children and they took her surname as their middle name too