Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

security update cd.. help required please to disab

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lynn

Lynn Report 19 Mar 2004 20:13

Has anyone received and installed the free microsoft security update cd? how did it go?please see my message further down re to disable ad-aware Lynn

Barbara

Barbara Report 19 Mar 2004 20:48

Good question! I received mine yesterday but have been cautious about putting it on the machine. I think partly because I wondered if it was actually some sinister plot to spread another virus. I know talk about paranoid! Would be glad to hear if ayone else has used it ok

Lynn

Lynn Report 19 Mar 2004 21:16

Hi Barbara...I'm also a bit worried as I have Nortons anti virus and Ad-aware and if you read down the bottom left of inside cover it says please disable pop-up blocking software before installing cd.If this means Ad-aware I haven't got a clue as to how to disable it.....not very up on all this ..........Running windows 98 Lynn

*****me*****

*****me***** Report 19 Mar 2004 21:25

i hav;nt received this c.d. is it just mailed to you ? chris.

Rosemary

Rosemary Report 19 Mar 2004 21:42

Be careful with the CD.You are best to go to Windows update and download security measures direct from the Microsoft Windows update website. Rosemary

Lynn

Lynn Report 19 Mar 2004 21:43

Hi All.I applied online to microsoft and its free..It took a couple of weeks to come and is genuine as far as I can tell.Only I don't like the idea of updating when you get massages from microsoft online and thought this was a better way....well hope so when I get a little help........please Lynn ps It also came with a free antivirus and firewall software trial cd

Shelli4

Shelli4 Report 19 Mar 2004 22:25

this is free cd offer by microsof from their site, i recieved mine this morning as well. You apply online and they send it out to you . There was a big decate about his a while back It came from the genuine site Shelli

Lynn

Lynn Report 19 Mar 2004 22:29

Shelli..Have you installed it yet....as I need help ..see posting above, thanks lynn

Shelli4

Shelli4 Report 19 Mar 2004 22:44

Lynne no sorry am hoping hubby is gonna do it, i don't install anything without him helping that way if click on wrong thing i can blame him for telling me LOL I'm a scardy cat LOL

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 19 Mar 2004 23:10

Hi all, I got my copy this morning,and this afternoon fired it up, it will update several programs, and quite a few normal updates, depending on which OS you are running. but reboots itself when neccessary, however it " fell over once" and appeared to go into a loop.......but seems ok now, and it tells you what has been installed as it completes each section......however i suggest that you treat it with a bit of caution..... however on reboot it said it could not find an inf. file, so i did the whole install again......now it seems ok, I didnt try the firewall, disc, as i already have one running........And nothing seems to be dispersed into cyber space........at least at the mo everything seems to be working...Bob Ps. I did NOT disable ad aware.....

Bob

Bob Report 20 Mar 2004 19:30

The free version of Ad-Aware is not a pop up blocker (It deletes the programs that produce them after they have been installed on your machine). The big advantage of this CD is that you can install all of the many updates and security fixes that Microsoft have released. On a dial up it would take for ever. If you have to wipe your disc and start again with the original software from even a few months ago you would probably be infected before you could download the security fixes to stop it. For more info and to order a copy go to: http://www.microsoft.*com/security/protect/cd/order.asp (take out the *) Bob

Judy

Judy Report 20 Mar 2004 20:38

Bob is correct in referance to Adaware. It does not run in the background, hence forth, it shouldn't have any bearing on Norton Firewall. Adaware is run manually to remove spyware already on your computer.....the spyware is what causes many of the pop-ups you get....but is not a pop up blocker. Judy :)