Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Canning Town - Essex?? London??

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Zoe

Zoe Report 19 Mar 2004 18:54

I have a mother and three of her children missing from the 1901. I've done all I can think of to find them using a variety of search techniques: only forenames ages and birthplace. First three letters of surname with their ages etc etc. She is on the 1891 as born in Canning Town, and then written in a different hand: Essex - does anyone know of any other area I can search under? I was wondering about Canning Town in London?

Geoff

Geoff Report 19 Mar 2004 19:17

Same place. North of the Thames, east of london is Essex.

Zoe

Zoe Report 19 Mar 2004 19:22

Geoff, Cheers. I used to drive through it on my way to work in Wapping.I just wondered for a minute if I was going mad and there was two of them. Zoe

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 19 Mar 2004 20:19

Hi Zoe, how are you?? Canning Town (named after the Tin Canneries there apparently) is a tricky one. It is right on the border of Poplar, Middx and West Ham, Essex. I recommend you search both. All my dad's side were from that area, so I have a lot of experience with this 'cross border' business and it is a pain in the ****!! If you have a street name, then maybe I could look on the 1861 London for you for the mother when she was young?? Let me know if you need help. Maz. XX

Zoe

Zoe Report 19 Mar 2004 20:39

Maz Thank you - that helps narrow it down actually as I have a few possibilities on the 1901 coming up under West Ham which I wrote off as being too far out. I've only just pegged them down in the 1891 as they were mistranscribed and its the first confirmation I have of which of two brides she was - but if I get any further back with her I may take you up on the offer of the 1861. At the minute she's just being a big nightmare wife and it wouldn't surprise me if hubby didn't send her away on census night for a bit of peace. Zoe

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 19 Mar 2004 20:55

Just let me know luvvie!! Maz. XX