Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Marriage Licences

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kevin

Kevin Report 19 Mar 2004 15:24

Any one know what info i will find on a marriage license from 1728?

Janet

Janet Report 19 Mar 2004 21:06

Can be very informative. I have one for 1699 which tells me name of brides father, grooms occupation, and has finger and palm prints as well as both signatures of bride and groom. Wonderful documents to handle. I have a phoptocopy of mine and I marvel at it! The original was on parchment. Definitely worth having a copy. It did not give father's name of groom but I was able to go back to the Parish record to access more details. I then had to look at other parishes around to obtain other details as they moved around. Janet

Helen

Helen Report 19 Mar 2004 21:36

The one I have was applied for as the bride was under 21 and had to have her fathers consent. It gives her father's name but did not give the groom's fathers name, which was the info I really wanted.

Janet

Janet Report 19 Mar 2004 22:27

Helen If you know the parish where they married and it says OTP (Of This Parish) on the parish record, thenyou can try to find his birth at the same parish. you would need to visit the record office for this. If he is there then you will be able to access both his parents, unless he is illegitimate, in which case it will tell you so and just give the mother's name. In this case there is often a hint in the name as to who the father was. If you cannot find him I suggest that you then look at the Phillimore Atlas of Parishes for the whole country(accessible through any big library) and look at the possible parishes around. He is probably not very far away. If you know he was under 21 then you just have to go back those years. If he comes from another parish the record will state what parish he is from and you can access that parish again through the record office and look for his birth. Are there any witnesses on the Licence that may give you sibling hints? Have you also accessed the "Cert" from the marriage records on fiche at the record office as that may give you more info? Although these "certs" are not as informative as present day ones they do give you quite a lot of info. They always tell you whether or not the bride and groom are OTP and if not which parish they come from and usually give witnesses which are very often siblings. Janet