Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help PLEASE........

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jayne

Jayne Report 19 Mar 2004 08:26

This could get confusing so please be patient with me. My GGrandmother was one Harriet Holmes. On her Marriage Cert it gives her Fathers name as George Holmes and her age as 21 years. (ohhh how i wish it gave mothers name too) I have found her death in 1941 aged 73 years. Looking back I think i have finnally found her birth in 1864. It states that she was born in Union Workhouse Leytonstone her mothers name is Lydia Holmes. Now this is where the confusion sets in there is no fathers name on the birth Cert. I have found Harriet on the 1881 census living with her Aunt Harriet Ladell and uncle Robert Ladell in Norfolk. So I ordered there marriage cert to see if George Holmes was Harriett Ladells father (thinking that prehaps Lydia never married and that the George on my ggrandmothers marriage cert was her granfather) WRONG fathers name was William. So now I am stuck i am not sure i have the right harriet now (birth Cert) and if i have WHO is George Holmes mentioned in her marriage Cert??? CAN ANYONE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry for being so long winded.

Deborah

Deborah Report 19 Mar 2004 09:02

Hi Jayne, I might be barking completely the wrong tree, but, this entry is on www.genealogy.douns.org/transcriptions Marriages Guiltcross District Bridgham 1864 HOLMES, George PHILIPPE, Alice Also found this on 1881 census: Household: Name Relation Marital Status Gender Age Birthplace Occupation Disability George W. HOLMES Head M Male 65 Toft Monks, Norfolk, England Gardener Jane HOLMES Wife M Female 54 Etling, Norfolk, England Gardeners Wife Frederick HOLMES Son U Male 23 Bradestone, Norfolk, England Gardener Harriot HOLMES Daur U Female 21 Bradestone, Norfolk, England Servant Out Of Place George R. HOLMES Gr Son Male 1 Bradestone, Norfolk, England -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Source Information: Dwelling 6 Bradestone St Census Place Bradeston, Norfolk, England Family History Library Film 1341472 Public Records Office Reference RG11 Piece / Folio 1959 / 62 Page Number 5 Debbie

cazzabella

cazzabella Report 19 Mar 2004 09:21

Hi Jayne, A question.......Who was the informant on Harriet's birth certificate? Carole

Gen

Gen Report 19 Mar 2004 09:37

What about this family on 1881: George HOLMES Head M Male 44 Lincoln, Lincoln, England Laborer In Iron Wks Mary HOLMES Wife M Female 40 Skillington, Lincoln, England Harriett HOLMES Daur U Female 15 Tetford, Lincoln, England George HOLMES Son Male 13 Tetford, Lincoln, England Scholar Sarah J. HOLMES Daur Female 10 Tetford, Lincoln, England Scholar Catherine HOLMES Daur Female 8 Walkley Sheffield, York, England Scholar Christopher H. HOLMES Son Male 3 Brightside Sheffield, York, England Edith L. HOLMES Daur Female 1 Brightside Sheffield, York, England Charles BRETT Lodger M Male 52 Louth, Lincoln, England Coal Merchants Clerk -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Source Information: Dwelling 90 Bressingham Rd Census Place Brightside Bierlow, York, England Family History Library Film 1342126 Public Records Office Reference RG11 Piece / Folio 4660 / 74 Page Number 14 Gen

Jayne

Jayne Report 19 Mar 2004 13:56

thanks for all your help sorry its taken so long to get back to you....i am home for lunch..lol the informant on her birth cert is Lydia Holmes Mother and she was born at Union Workhouse Leytonstone but like i said i dont know if this is the right Harriet Holmes. The one in Norfolk seems like it might be right i will have to look more into when i get home later Thanks for all your help its really appreciate it always helps when someone new looks at your problems Jayne

Jayne

Jayne Report 19 Mar 2004 18:11

ok another twist to the tale....on the 1881 census the 1891 census and the 1901 censes my ggrandmother states her birth place as stratford....does this help?