Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

ANCESTRY-WARNING!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Christina

Christina Report 19 Mar 2004 01:21

I had a three month subscription with Ancestry which I cancelled on expiration. However a month later I needed to use the site so I renewed my subscription, this time with the monthly option. I recently tried to cancel this and was told that my monthly subscription was actually an annual subscription paid monthly. What a catch, I did not see any notice stating this at all and took it it was just a monthly subscription. I visited the site to check, it looks as if the form has changed, there is, in letters this small [the rest is in larger typeface] a line under the subscription box saying it is annual, I dont remember seeing this before. It is definitely a trap to get customers to sign thinking its within their budget.

Crista

Crista Report 19 Mar 2004 09:56

Christina, I think it is all a bit shady too. I was about to sign up for a "monthly" subscription too but noticed the clause "These plans represent an annual commitment with payments in monthly installments." I'd like to do it but don't want the hassle of having to remember to cancel within the month to avoid more charges. If you feel like complaining about their practices, you can do so at www.bbb.org Crista

Scatty Patty

Scatty Patty Report 19 Mar 2004 18:31

Christina Thanks so much for the tip -I'm just about to sign up for a 3 month subscription and think about renewal after I've tried it. Pat

Geoff

Geoff Report 19 Mar 2004 19:25

I took the quarterly sub and the day before this was due to end, I mailed "You failed to warn me that my subscription was about to expire ("You will be notified by e-mail 15 days before your subscription will end, asked to correct any information which has changed and given the opportunity to "opt out" of your renewal. ") or I would have cancelled sooner. I will NOT be making any further payments to you and will regard any attempts by you to obtain further payments as unjustified and dishonest." The replied within 3 hours, saying they would cross me off the list the next day (and they did).

Scatty Patty

Scatty Patty Report 19 Mar 2004 21:52

Geoff Heck! Is it really this hard? I want a stress-free time! Ancestry (UK) sign-up page talks of subscription being "automatically renewed...and credit card billed" but there is a tick box underneath which seems to suggest that you can leave it UNCHECKED if you don't want the credit card used again. Does anyone else have experience of this quarterly sub? Pat, the terminally confused!

Barbara

Barbara Report 19 Mar 2004 22:44

HI Pat I don't remember being warned when my first quarter was up, but this time I had an email a few weeks before and then when it renewed I had an email thanking me and telling me how to stop. There is a seven day cool off period according to the mail. I always have lots to look at though so I am happy to renew. B

Christina

Christina Report 20 Mar 2004 09:42

I have received further correspondence from them telling me I am still liable, I have asked for documentation to prove I have signed for twelve months. Unfortunately I am in Australia so cannot contact the site your recommend, unless it is for all countries, I will visit it, I have contacted our Fair Trading Department for their advice. Thanks for your replies. Regards Christina