Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Census access on Genealogy(.)com ???

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Linda & Tim

Linda & Tim Report 18 Mar 2004 23:49

Has anyone either purchased the British 1851 census on CD or taken out a subscription for it? If so, would you recommend it? It is worth doing?

Lucky

Lucky Report 19 Mar 2004 10:01

I have just won this off e bay, it will be at least a week before I get it. If you don't get any other replies I'll let you know what I think then. I got it for £12.60, another one went a couple of days before for over £37 !!!

Linda & Tim

Linda & Tim Report 20 Mar 2004 22:52

Hmm... I get the impression that this hasn't proved to be an overwhelmingly popular resource. Whether that's through our negligence of its existance or because it's no good I'm not sure! Diane - would be glad of some feed back! Thanks!

Stan

Stan Report 21 Mar 2004 00:55

I think you will find this is just a sample. 3% comes to mind. If so, I would be surprised if it were much use. Stan

cazzabella

cazzabella Report 21 Mar 2004 01:25

Hi Linda, I'm not sure if the CD you've bought is the same 1851 British census as I've got, but if it is, then it only includes the 3 counties of Devon, Warwickshire and Norfolk. British census as the title is a little misleading if you're unaware of the contents beforehand. Mine was produced by the LDS. It's complete and fully indexed for those counties. Do you think this is the same one as yours? Best wishes, Carole

Linda & Tim

Linda & Tim Report 21 Mar 2004 23:41

Hi Carole I haven't actually bought it... I'm trying to find out whether it is worth buying! The version I have in mind, as far as I know, has nothing to do with LDS... it is advertised by Genealogy(.)com and you can either subscribe to it or buy the disc. However, judging by the response that this thread has received, no one seems to know much about it!

BobClayton

BobClayton Report 22 Mar 2004 05:44

Just had a look and it is a 10% sample from across the UK , very strange. Not much use and certainly not worth the 49$ ~ £30 they are asking. Bob