Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What do you make of this?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 18 Mar 2004 23:30

One of my ancestors headstones clearly says that he died on 11 October 1881, yet the parish register says he was buried on 2 November of that year. Could one be a mistake, or do you think there's something sinister going on? This was in the days before post mortems and refigerators I presume. Poo!Could be worth a few pennies for the death cert. Jeanette

Mary

Mary Report 18 Mar 2004 23:43

Hi there, I think the only thing to do is to get the death certificate, this will definately give you the correct date. I would think that he died on 31st. of October not the 11th/ Mary

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 19 Mar 2004 00:04

Headstones are not always right. My grandmother died on the 4th June (have the death certificate) and we know from the cemetery records that the funeral was on 9th June, but her headstone says she died on 21st June. Whoever ordered the stone obviously made a mistake.

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 19 Mar 2004 00:06

I was told that some burials in Canada could not be done right away, due to bad weather. There could be a mistake, but I think it's just as likely that they had extreme weather that year. Would be worth ordering the certificate, just to satisfy your curiosity! (Now I'm curious!) PS Just remembered who told me about the delayed burials -- it was someone who was a backhoe operator at a cemetery.

Pat Kendrick

Pat Kendrick Report 19 Mar 2004 09:04

Jeanette I would certainly agree with the others that to satisfy your curiosity get the death certificate. We have to try to remember that weather conditions prevented burial. If it had rained and the ground was waterlogged they could not bury also in victorian times weather conditions were severe in Autumn and winter, you may have read that it was not unusual for people to skate on the Thames. Plus if there was a flu or cholera etc epidemic then that could have caused a delay. Pat

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 19 Mar 2004 11:42

Some good ideas there girls. The weather could well have been a factor. I know if it snows in that part of Yorkshire they do tend to get it bad even these days. Will have to send for the cert. Jeanette