Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Charing, Kent - does anyone know it?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Linda & Tim

Linda & Tim Report 18 Mar 2004 23:19

Please see below...

Linda & Tim

Linda & Tim Report 18 Mar 2004 23:21

Can anyone help me, please? The funeral of my Nana, Ethel Beatrice Dutton (nee Payne) took place at Charing in Kent. I'm not sure when it was, (sometime c.1950-ish) and I'm not sure whether she was buried or cremated... However, before her death Nana lived at Green Street Green in Kent (which, I think, is near Orpington?) So why would her funeral have taken place at Charing (which, I think, is somewhere east of Maidstone?) As far as I know there wasn't a family grave there, and surely there is a crematorium at Bromley? Any ideas?

Bob

Bob Report 19 Mar 2004 01:35

There is a Crem' at Charing. The only details I could find were these Telephone Numbers: Newcourt Wood Crematorium Charing 01233 - 712443 01233 - 712402 Bob

Geoff

Geoff Report 19 Mar 2004 08:33

There were fewer crematoria 50 years ago so you may have had to travel to find one. Kent has 7 crems today - perhaps it only had a couple fifty years ago. In 1960, 35% were cremated - this doubled to 70% by 1990. Some really interesting cremations stats here! http://www.srgw.demon.*co.uk/CremSoc4/Stats/National/2000/StatsNat.html (delete *)

Cheryl

Cheryl Report 20 Mar 2004 09:06

Hi Charing is approx 9 miles outside Ashford in Kent, it is next to another village called Lenham which is an historical village i think it dates back to medieval times. The crematorium is on the A20 between Lenham and Ashford. Hope this helps any!! I know this because we have family in Kent and stayed in Lenham in February and went into Ashford and few times and actually passed the crematorium in Charing!!

Helen in Berkshire

Helen in Berkshire Report 20 Mar 2004 16:17

Hi Linda I think Geoff has a point - it's only quite recently that people have either preferred to be cremated or have not been given the choice due to lack of space in cemetaries nowadays. I was brought up in the Bromley area and the only crematorium there I can think of is in Elmers End, near Anerley. It's quite a long way from Green Street Green to there, so maybe Charing was easier to get to for your family. Regards Helen

Bob

Bob Report 20 Mar 2004 19:43

Just a thought but if anyone is interested in the history of cremation there is more info than you could possibly need here: http://www.srgw.demon.*co.uk/CremSoc/History/HistSocy.html#introduction (take out the *) Bob

Linda & Tim

Linda & Tim Report 20 Mar 2004 22:54

Thanks everyone! As far as I'm aware, all of my grandparents were cremated... I hadn't realised that cremation was such a recent practice. The things we learn when chasing our roots!!