Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1834 Marriage.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rosi

Rosi Report 18 Mar 2004 20:24

I have found a possible 1st marriage that I have been looking for frages. It took place in St George Hanover Sq, (Fulham Middx) in 1834 between Kearns, Wm Mosson and Mary Ann Caroline King - I think it says 'lic' on the sliver of paper with the info - it was copied for me by someone who found the entry on Ancestry.com - I don't seem to be able to find it on Ancestry.co.uk. Question is - how can I get a half decent copy of the original document - the Bishops Transcript or whatever? Is there a way I can do it online or by telephone? I don't think Fulham RO as such is in existence any more. Help and advice appreciated. Thanks - Rosi

Anne

Anne Report 18 Mar 2004 20:48

The Record office (archive) which is local to that area will probably have the church records. If you know the date they would not charge much for a photocopy of the entry. If the wedding was by licence rather than banns there may be a copy of that too. I have found archive staff extremely helpful, although the phone was always busy at the one I dealt with! Anne

Rosi

Rosi Report 18 Mar 2004 21:33

Thanks Anne - Do you know how I can find which RO would have been/is local to the area of St Geo.Han. Sq. or even Fulham? Rosi

Anne

Anne Report 18 Mar 2004 22:40

Mmmmm - not sure about that one. I don't know London at all. I'm sure someone on here can help! Anne

Chris in London

Chris in London Report 18 Mar 2004 22:55

Try the London Metropolitan Archives (situated close to the PRO). They have a web site. Lovely people there.

Rosi

Rosi Report 19 Mar 2004 00:18

Thankyou Christine- have you - or any one else - any idea of the website addie or even where I can find the telephone number? In hope- Rosi

cazzabella

cazzabella Report 19 Mar 2004 00:22

Hiya Rosi The marriage is on ancestry, under pallots marriage index and it was a marriage by licence. Hope you've found where the marriage register is, but as it was by licence you might also find a marriage allegation or bond has survived too (unlikely that the licence has as this would have been taken by the groom, but you never know). There's a page on the Guildhall Library site that gives more info on the survivng licence records of London http://www.history.ac.uk/gh/marrlic.htm Carole xxxx

Marilyn

Marilyn Report 19 Mar 2004 00:24

Hi Rosi in North Essex Try typing Registration Districts in Google. Found this for St George, Hanover Square Registers now in Westminster, as follows: Westminster Council House, Marylebone Road, London, NW1 5PT. Tel: 0207 641 1161. There's an email but GC won't let me put it in! Marilyn in North Essex ;)

cazzabella

cazzabella Report 19 Mar 2004 00:25

Me again, London Metropolitan archives site http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/leisure_heritage/libraries_archives_museums_galleries/lma/ Carole xxxx

cazzabella

cazzabella Report 19 Mar 2004 00:31

Hi Rosi, Just checked on the Westminster Archives site for you. Parish registers for St. GHsq are with them, check out their site. http://www.westminster.gov.uk/libraries/archives/index.cfm Carole xxx

Rosi

Rosi Report 19 Mar 2004 11:19

Cass (almost didn't recognise you under that hat), Christine, Marilyn - thank you all so much for your very relevant suggestions and websites - I will conquer my nerves and go in and see what I can find. I got very lost in Ancestry last night - having found in Pallots several references to the Hampshire Marriage Index - I was looking for the marriage of MaryAnn Caroline King in 1834 - I couldn't find in ANY of the pages that I was given any reference to the person I was looking for at all - AND they all seemed to start with grooms name first - but even under that (Kearns William Mosson) I found nothing. I must be rubbish at looking things up on sites that are not blindingly obvious - or have I missed something that is blindingly obvious? Thanks again - I will investigate your suggestions! Rosi

Rosi

Rosi Report 19 Mar 2004 13:19

sokay Liz - yes I do have the slip of paper image - and have emailed you separately with what I really want - whch is, I suppose, a photocopy of the relevant page in the St Geo.Han.Sq, Parish Register of Marriages. Thanks for sending it to me anyway. Rosi

Rosi

Rosi Report 19 Mar 2004 16:47

Liz _ I have sent it to the Chris Lewis addie - I hope that that is what you meant. whatever ate the email also ate the crucial word in your posting as to where you wanted me to send a copy! gremlins! Luv, Rosi