Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Do you think I'm safe to go with this certificate

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Simon

Simon Report 18 Mar 2004 19:22

(See Below)

Simon

Simon Report 18 Mar 2004 19:22

Just need a second opinion really on whether you think I’ve got the right birth certificate : One branch of my tree is the Nobbs family starting with my gr-grandmother Florence Nobbs. The 1891 census shows her father to be William Nobbs (b1861), and the 1881 census shows his parents to be William Nobbs Snr and a Caroline. Searching on Free BMD for William Nobbs Jnr brought up one possibility; however it was listed as William Nobes. I took a chance and ordered the birth certificate which arrived today. The birth certificate matches the FreeBMD record listing the parents as William and Caroline Nobes rather than Nobbs. With the matching Christian names, and the closeness of the names Nobes and Nobbs do you think this is likely to be the right person ? I suppose the mistake could easily come from the transcription of the original or even when the birth was registered as Caroline couldn’t read/write so wouldn’t have checked what the registrar had put ? Do you agree that the odds are pretty safe on this one ? Simon (NB : the ironic thing is that my gr-grandmother, Florence Nobbs actually married a Nobes. I think the two families are quite closely entwined throughout the history of that area of Norfolk).

Mystified

Mystified Report 18 Mar 2004 19:57

I would think the odds are pretty good but if you accept it might mean you going down the wrong line and wasting a lot of time. When you mention 81 and 91, have you seen the actual pages or are you going on type written transcripts? If the latter, try and see the original pages. They may have been transcribed wrong. It may just help to convince you one way or the other. Good Luck John

Simon

Simon Report 18 Mar 2004 20:02

Amanda, That would be great if you could - the birth date is 08.07.1860 in Aylsham District. John, I've seen the original 1891 document and that's definately Nobbs, as it should be. Unfortunately I've only seen a transcript of the 1881. Simon