Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Immigrants 1896 - did they have to register with r

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Margaret

Margaret Report 18 Mar 2004 19:17

Can anyone help solve a problem... We are tracing ancestory, and we have found a birth record for Joseph Kosky in 1897. We know from his birth certificate his parents were Barnet and Yetta Kosky from London, but the GRO records both of them as being born in the March quarter 1896. We believe they were immigrants from Poland or Russia, is it possible they had to register as a birth when they entered the country? Can anyone help???

Lysianne

Lysianne Report 18 Mar 2004 21:27

Hi I studied Russian at school and university, and trained as an interpreter and translator, although I'm very rusty now, as I haven't used it for a long time, and have a young family. If I can help at all with names or whatever, though, please e-mail me direct; I can't promise anything, but I'll certainly try... Lysianne